Any experience with the Inon 45 Viewfinder?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hidroj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hy to everyone!
Is anybody out there with experience with Inon's 45 degree viewfinder? Was thinking about upgrading my Ikelite housing (from D70 to D300) and then I saw what the guys at Backscatter are performing:

Underwater Camera Articles: Inon 45 Viewfinder - Backscatter Custom Shop Installs

Is it worth the 900US$ they ask for? Has anybody with an Ikelite Housing used the viewfinder? Any feedback will be appreciated!
Thanks very much!
Jordi

I got mine from Divervision for $699....self installation for a Sea & Sea MDX D300. It think they also have a version for the Ikes which can be self installed...

I love it. The stock viewfinder was terrible. Below is my short writeup on a different forum,

There have been some who asked about the Inon 45 degree viewfinder from Taiwan's Divervision. Thought some may like to know that I bought this (and everything else) from them and installed it myself. I am pleased to report that it was "fairly" painless and I am very very happy with the viewfinder.

Here are some photos;

2418537295_b7274e8d13.jpg

2418537515_ecaa97d7c8.jpg

The reason why I say "fairly" painless is because the stock viewfinder assembly was on real tight and hard to remove without a wrench like this one;

Ikonta_Repair4web.jpg

After removing the stock viewfinder from the inside, there was a screw much like the one in the picture above with the two slots that had to be removed. I managed to get it off with two small allen keys slotted into the grooves and twisting in opposite directions. After this, the whole viewfinder assembly could be removed from the acrylic backing.

The Inon viewfinder has two O rings whereas the stock viewfinder uses only one. Mine came with spare O rings. I greased the rings, slotted the viewfinder into place and threaded a locking screw which came with the viewfinder on the other side. Done! The viewfinder rotates easily in both directions and "clicks" satisfyingly into place at 90 degree turns. It is a modified Anthis Nexus assembly and probably a custom locking ring (which has grooves around it to make it easy to hand tighten).

I must say that having this viewfinder has made a world of difference. The stock viewfinder was terrible (I am new to DSLR use UW). It feels so much more natural now and I don't find myself struggling to compose or determine sharpness.

Divervision has been great. They ship EMS so it is fairly cheap. Their prices are fantastic and they replied ALL of my concerns and questions I sent them constantly (within 24 hrs). They really bent over backwards for me (shipping details, seperate shipments, different addresses, etc). My only relation with them is as a very satisfied customer.

Edit: I looked....sorry, no Ike versions at divervision. I do recommend this viewfinder though

I am currently thinking about buying the Inon 45 viewfinder. I saw your posts and was curious how you liked the viewfinder you went with? The ability to take the finder off and switch it to another housing sounds great. How well does it attach to the housing? Thanks for any information you could give.

Wes

There is a considerable difference in performance between REPLACING the stock viewfinder with the 45 degree and adding the 45 degree finder to the existing finder. IMHO (OK maybe not so humble) having one viewfinder is much preferable since the optics are optimized for looking directly at the camera finder rather than looking at the finder of the housing looking at the finder of the camera.

Bill

But doesn't the Inon magnify the Ikelites reduced view so you end up with not so much advantage? Bill

If you use this item http://www.dyron.fr/page_article.php?id_ar...&language=2 then yes you are correct. However in most cases the standard viewfinder is removed and the INON is installed. The Dyron is the only one that is a attachment, all others are a replacement. I am attaching a picture of the basic INON viewfinder and then my install. I hope that clears things up. If not ask more questions or would you like to call me?

Attachments

• inon.JPG
    inon.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 253
  • DSC_0099.jpg
    DSC_0099.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 229
Hi Wes
Sorry I missed you question. I like the INON as do my 57 year old eyes. My solution is that I made a delrin adapter that fit the ikelite housing that replaced the existing INON adapter as that didn't fit and it also replaced the Ikelite Viewfinder. When you upgrade your housing you unscrew the INON custom made adapter and screw the Ikelite Viewfinder back in.

Bill L
UWCameraStuff.com

Back
Top Bottom