Any feedback on Blackbeard's live aboard Bahamas cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LoneWolf

Reaction score
In February I want to spend a week on a live aboard in the Bahamas. I have checked the web and Blackbeard's offers one at $819, which is about half the cost of the others. I am guessing the reduced cost is because it is a monohull sailboat with no private cabins. I am in the Army so the cramped quarters are nothing new to me and I am really wanting to learn to sail so the fact that it is a sailboat is a plus for me. But can anyone tell me what diving with them is like and how is the service? I would much rather be on a small sailboat with great service than on a big yacht with lousy service. I would appreciate any input.

Conditions (weather) and passengers will create the biggest variables in the enjoyment of this operation. I personally give them high marks on all accounts. But I've know of trips that had problems - unfortunately they were mostly a result of the passengers, not the crew. They work hard to give you a great time and adventure (and they always have for me). If you go, I'd ask for Capt. Paul's boat, as they have 3 that go out. Also - be prepared for potentially rough seas heading out toward the Bahamas. It can get a bit rough

I've been out with Blackbeard's twice and had a wonderful time both times. The staff work hard to ensure you have a great and safe time. You're right about the reason for the price difference....these are not 5 star accomadations....but really for me it all added to the overall experience.

Everyone has their favorite boat captain....I really enjoyed my week on Rusty's boat (MorningStar).

Enjoy!

Peace,
Cathie

Been on The Pirates Lady twice and Sea Explorer once. Top notch for bargain basement "camping at sea"

Oh about the sailing though.....

These boats are something like 65' long, 14' beam and 6' draft. At 65 tons gross they barely do 8 knots while motoring it. Sailing just doesn't happen often. But every once in awhile they will get some wind out there and they will give it a go. Passenger participation in rigging the lines and piloting the boat is encouraged.

Been on Sea Explorer twice and Pirate's Lady once - just got back Oct 24th from my third cruise with them.
Superb all the way around.
I'll be going again soon.
Rick

Used to do an annual thing with them and they're great if you don't need fancy frills. The routine is up at approx 8:00 for a morning dive. After the dive they'll motor to the next site. Then a mid-day dive. Then more motoring(as someone else observed, there's not much sailing). Usually there's an afternoon dive. Once or twice during the trip, there'll be a night dive. Depending on your stamina you can get 14-18 dives per trip.

Usually we would go to Bimini and dive that area. However, weather is the deciding factor and we have gone to Andros and other points in the Bahamas. Although I never went, I understand that they also sometimes go to the Tortugas.

They've got both single and double bunks. The max number is 20-22 people plus a crew of 4-5. The meals were simple but always good. Big plus...unlimited beer on tap every day after the diving is over.

It's more fun if you go with people you know but not mandatory. The DM will help you find a buddy if you're alone. Besides, on a 65 ft boat, you get to know everyone pretty quickly.

I always went in the summer. Never needed any type of thermal protection. Have heard from folks that went in the winter that you get pretty chilled after that 3rd dive. Also, staying topside in the winter isn't always an option like it is in the summer.

I'd highly recommend them to anyone diving on a budget or anyone who likes the close-to-the-water boating experience. It ain't no luxury cruise but it's a lot of fun.

for your quick responses. After reading your posts and reviewing some of the archived messages I didn't find anything bad written about them. I am an enlisted guy in the Army so I don't make a ton of money. I would rather go on two dive trips a year with a no frills cruise like this than only be able to afford one a year with a more luxurious cruise. In the end it is bottom time that matters right? I am going to go ahead and book my cruise. Thanks again!

i went in may 03 and had a great time. for the price you can't beat it with a stick! was on the morning star w/capt. paul. highly reccommend him. bring foul weather gear as the crossing can get rough and wet on deck.ask for a bunk in the galley (they are twice as big as the others)although it is busier there because it is the hub of activity.if you are a sound sleeper it is no big deal.besides who sleeps late when there's all that great diving to do?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom