Any Good dive shops in Eleuthera/Governors Harbor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greets y'all from SC. My wife and I are leaving for the big long E on Thursday. We're taking all but tanks and weights, getting air at Clear Water shop, just air as above. Bug season is over, too bad. But who knows what will show up in the scrabled eggs! We have several shore dives planned on sea kayaks, near N. Palmetto Pt, and will prob hook up w/ Valentines. We'll be there May 22 (late) thru June 1. Phone: 242-332-1540 Lat/Lon: 25.150578,-76.188506 If you're around, call! Garry & Renée. We'll get back to y'all on the trip reports!

I'm looking forward to your trip report. We were there a couple years ago and absolutely loved it. Unfortunately we only did one dive there.

The moorings in the harbor had broken off in a storm prior to us getting there. My sister in law and her husband had their sailboat down there and got to know the harbormaster. Anyway, long story short, the harbormaster bought chains, my husband and I rented tanks, and my sister in law and husband had the chains, etc. on their dingy following us. We attached the new chains so the harbor had moorings again (imagine doing that in the States). I'm curious if they made it through the last couple of seasons.

Have a great time.

Valentine's on Harbor Island runs regular trips and I believe they fill tanks.

Cheers,

Jillian

The Ocean Fox team in South Eleuthera, Davis Harbour has some FANTASTIC dive sites! I'm not kidding, it's some of the best Caribbean diving I've done! I'll have some more info later, we just got back to the States. I'll have a full report soon and repost here. -Garry

would be interested in any reports from the big EEEEEE----hot spots, reliable dive shops, rentals for kayaks or boats........and fishing tips would be awesome....... I am a flyfisher.....have fished the flats many times and know about those elusive bones and permits........ not so fond of the shark clan......but love the reef fishes and the schools....will be going this summer to get back into diving with a new dive buddy.....they just got their license and thought this would be a great introduction..........any help, tips or guidance will be greatly appreciated about the island, travel and just all round knowledge that anyone has found useful and interesting........thanks...AJ

Eleuthera is a very rugged and low key island. The beaches on the Atlantic side were trashy and a lot of sargasso weed this time of year. If you can't afford a rental car and $6/gal fuel, you're toast. Be prepared and print out as much info about locations from the net as possible, there are few maps and it's tough finding places, including some beaches. The Caribbean side was nice! I saw bonefish on every beach we went to. I caught 2.5 bonefish (a 4' barracuda got the other .5) out of a large school. I used a 2/0 owner circle hook and a 1" Gulp white/biege crab, they like em for sure! Eleuthera is not for everybody, it's rough and can be tough to get around.

Thanks Gamecock for the information. Hopefully, the sargasso weed will not be as bad in late August.....I have found an informative person were I am renting a bungalow about mid-island, Governor's Harbour. (see below) I will let you know what my experience was after I get back in early September........I am very very excited about the bonefish....I love to flyfish and this will be wonderful.....thanks for the tip on the colors....once again, ole Lefty Kreh's bonefish special will once again be a winner in the fly catagory........ it seems to be the favorite for bones no matter where I go......
AND I am not foreign to rough and tough since over the years of traveling I have always been drawn to more primitive areas since there are less people there.... the innocence of the peoples have not yet been spoiled ....it is fun to test those survival skills on how to get what one needs ......some of the best times have been had under these circumstances.....I have found if one just explores and asks, that the island people will try their best to help if in more primitive and repressed areas......of course, as with any where you go, padding the palm always gets huge results....but usually modestly in the third world countries.....some, as in Isla de la Bahia (Honduran Bay Islands) it was an insult if you would do such a thing..(now this was twenty years ago---I am sure it is much different with so many US people there that have spoiled the environment and people with overbuilding and the scramble for the buck) ......so we all must be aware of the cultures that we visit....Thanks so much for sharing.....below is the information that I received on the dive shops in Eleuthera...

In terms of SCUBA there are 3 main options.
1. Dive operation on Southern Eleuthera through the Island school. (www.islandschool.org)Beautiful reef and wall dives. Best for intermediate to advanced divers

2. Habour Island- there are 2 main dive operations and they have reef, wreck and various other dives:
Valentine's Dive Center Harbour Island Bahamas Diving and Snorkelling in the Bahamas or Welcome to Ocean Fox Diving, Eleuthera, The Bahamas

3. It is also possible to rent tanks and equipment right in Governors Harbour and do shore dives locally.

Here is the website for bahamas diving guide that may also have some useful information for you: Bahamas Diving Association: Official Dive Association for the Islands of The Bahamas

Hey I just got back from Eleuthera June 13th. I couldn't find any place in Governors harbour to rent tanks. There is Clearwater Dive Shop but it's assesory equipment only. No BC's or regulators. Very expensive. Of course, everything is very expensive. I would pack a cooler with food stuff and snacks. A case of water will cost you $18, box of cereal $6, burger and fries $15, and gas $6 per gallon. And the worst, a cigar was $30!! Ocean Fox needs a minimum of 5 divers to go out. We went with Valentine's and was not impressed. The dive master swam off and left us. I had 400 lbs by the time I surfaced. He said, "You could have just breathed from my tank." The snorkle site Valentines took us to was in about 3 ft of water with nothing to see. I would recommend driving around the island and snorkling on your own. The snorkling is BEAUTIFUL! Next time I go I'm only going to take my snorkle gear.

Docdayne
Thanks for the update......I wished I ran into my fine art colleague before you went.....he said the same thing.....PACK A COOLER AND TAKE IT WITH YOU......Unknowingly, he and his wife have been traveling there over 15 years.....great insight but he is not a diver....However,he gave wonderful information about the workings of the island and where to go for the best food, groceries and supplies....also the best snorkeling and from the shore fishing....... I have heard that Valentine's is not ALL THAT. But from my experience in remote islands, you really have to do the research for yourself---the standards for quality on islands is SO different than our standards...Getting in the basic thread of the island is the key so that you know who is reputable and who is not....who has the best prices and who is high....and usually all of this is found with one of the locals that is not in a full fledged business from my experience with remote islands...the same standard can not be applied to more frequented places.......not that anyone is asking, but over a fifteen year period, I did alot of bare boat sailing,(lesser antilles, honduran bay islands, tahiti, etc...) and that really taught me to really be responsible for myself and question the 'qualified' ones in charge .......I personally had to learn about diesel engines after losing the sailboat engine into day two of the 3 week cruise because the local guys that were in charge were unable to help ...in fact, it took a call to the US to have a part finally flown in which took over a week and I had to put it in........this created a very challenging situation....not only did we then have a mechanic on board (me), but we became very proficient getting into bights that had a very very long and narrow channel (12 foot width ) totally under sail with 40 knot winds....wow, that was a wake up call. Guess one is not always totally prepared for what will uncover on the islands....everything is so expensive for the natives to obtain....our daily expenses amplified many times over.....I am sure the stress they feel iwith that is unbearable......
However, I am very happy that you found a jewel in snorkeling Eleuthera.....that is what I hear also...and that if one can manage to stay away from the north end which is spoiled by the wealthy and tourism to Harbour Island.....that going south is better and more rewarding.........
Thanks for your enlightening report...
And Docdayne, if you REALLY want some spectacular diving deep and shallow, try Roatan in the Honduran Bay Islands......I went many years back when it was just receiving divers......it was spectacular and breath taking..........
WOW...Co Co ViewResort was where I got my certification way back in 84......I am sure that it has all changed and is built up and unfortunately, Americanized. It was an adventure to remember way back when .....the phosphorent waters at night....the incredible stars and the spectacular diving..
Wishing you clear waters and bright skies.
AJ

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom