Any good diving close to Williamsburg, VA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adjuster-jd

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be staying in Williamsburg for a work-related trip for 3 weeks. Will have some free time on at least one weekend and wouldn't mind trying to get some dives in.
Looks like Lake Rawlings is a couple hours away.
Anywhere close by - Virginia Beach area? Boat or shore doesnt much matter if I can find someone to dive with.

Thanks.

Va. Beach is less than an hour away (during early morning without traffic) & is way better than Lake Rawlings. I have nothing against Rawlings & it serves a real purpose, but I prefer diving in the real live Ocean.
Check out Lynnhaven Dive Center - scuba diving lessons classes equipm & see if there schedule will meet with yours.
I am usually out with them so I could possibly dive with you.
All boat dives around here, some shore dives further south in Nags Head N.C. which will add 2 hours to your drive.

Excellent. Do they usually have last-minute space? I will have some weekend time to dive but may also have some committments that I won't know until mid-week or so.
Are these two-tank trips or just one? Their web site says to bring just one tank, but does that mean they fill on the boat or that it's just one dive? How long are the boat rides to the sites?

Thanks.

They are 2 tank dives, but they have a compressor on board, as long as you are diving air all you will need is 1 tank, but I always dive a mix so that doesn't work for me & I usually dive doubles.
The in-shore wrecks such as the Tug, Tiger or Reef (which consist of some subway cars & an old barge) are about an hour boat ride. These are all less than 70fsw. Vis is typically 10-15 ft.
The real interesting stuff such as the Morgan, Luchenbach, Clark & Webster are close to 2 1/2 hour ride. These are in the 100fsw range & vis is typically 20+ ft.
We have some deeper stuff, but the trips are pretty spread out on the schedule & range from 140fsw to 200fsw + & we get better than 50 ft of vis.
We just went on 1 to the Chenago last weekend & there is video on this forum in a trip report. I'm the diver shown going down the line & am in it quite a bit, wearing doubles with Shark stickers & carrying 2 bottles, 1 yellow & 1 silver.
There is usually plenty of room except for this past weekend when they were running 1/2 priced dives & divers came out of the woodwork to fill the boat. We were set to dive the Morgan on Saturday in the AM, but Mother Nature chimed in & kept us close to shore at the Tiger. I am going to do a report soon.

What do y'all use for exposure protection? Is a 5 mil enough or should I bring a 7 or even a drysuit? I hate to tote along the dry suit on this trip but I can if needed. I guess the better question is what are the water temps?
Thanks.

For any of the deeper stuff I dive dry. You could get away with a 7mm & maybe even a 5mm on the shallower stuff later in the summer.

Sorry to hijack your thread JD, but maybe you have the same questions. Is LDC is the only reputable dive shop in the area? I'll be in Norfok in two weeks and I was wondering what the other options were just in case this I don't find any slot with LDC. Also what are some of the good dive sites out there?

Thanks.

In Virginia Beach there is also Dive Quarters. It's a good shop and they have a boat at their disposal, but it is much smaller than LDC's. 6-pack I think.

As far as good dives, as RAD said "The real interesting stuff such as the Morgan, Luchenbach, Clark & Webster are close to 2 1/2 hour ride. These are in the 100fsw range & vis is typically 20+ ft. We have some deeper stuff, but the trips are pretty spread out on the schedule & range from 140fsw to 200fsw + & we get better than 50 ft of vis."

Cool. Thanks fathomer.

I didn't post Dive Quarters as the boat they have been using has been having some engine problems, but Joe (DQ owner) said that the problems are almost cured & that the trips should resume shortly.
I do all my training there & most of my gear purchases also.
But trying to squeeze on a 6-pack at the last moment could be tough.
I like diving from the Big Time, Capt. Steve is a riot & you dive your own dive, he is just there for the ride out. You also need to bring your own drinks & food.
Check them out at Diving Lessons Virginia Beach | Scuba Lessons Virginia Beach | Learn Scuba | PADI Diving Classes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom