any good diving locations in Los angeles area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are tons of great dive spots in LA / OC. You can go to Catalina, Laguna, Redondo, or any of the many charters in the area. You can check out the So Cal forum for some ideas and to get in touch with some local divers. :)

Tons. Shore diving and boat. Catalina island should be at the top of your list for beg. shore diving in SoCal. Have fun exploring!

...you should buy "A Diver's Guide to Southern California's Best Beach Dives" by Dale and Kim Sheckler. It's a really nice shore guide to the LA area and beyond. It really is well done and comprehensive. Just google it and you will find where to order it. ABout 20 bucks or so and worth every penny.

I will be in LA for 2 days, not much time for a boat trip. Looking for a park and walk in dive. Never dove the pacific and not want to pass up this opportunity. Any suggestions. I'll have a car and will rent a tank, I always keep gear with me no matter where I go or how long. Will need some detailed directions if anyone can help. If you ever on the NJ shore, I'll tell you my favorite spots. Thanks

LA is a big place and location is everything. Where in LA will you be, and when will you be here? Depending on the days a boat to Catalina is very doable with the Sundiver Express running Wed, Fri, Sat & Sunday. You can also take the ferry from several departure points to Catalina Island and dive the dive park any day- you just need to rent tanks mid week as the fill station is not always open.

For easy walk in diving you can always head south a bit and dive Laguna Beach (google Shaw's Cove). Just be aware conditions vary day to day, and 3-4 ft surf can make all our shore diving iffy. That said, in advance of your trip post the details here in the So Cal section when you will be here and I bet some locals will ask you to join them, or offer to join you.

I would jump a boat to Catalina. Not the Ferry but a dive boat. You will never land on the island but you do not need to, and a dive boat will run about the same as the ferry but will include round trip transportation and your tanks and weights as well as some food (usually) and water.

Alternately you can take a boat to Catalina and shore dive but that is an all day affair and you will need to find a buddy.

Vis if shore diving around LA is iffy.

Catalina is amazing, either by dive boat or the ferry (Catalina Express). The dive park is my first choice but you will have to decide that a day on this little island is more than just fun, it's relaxing as well.

Palos Verdes not only is unique Los Angeles shore diving, it very well could be one of the best most diversified diving coastlines from Central Cal south! Terranea Resort, Old Marineland aka Long Point (entry and exit at the point is best!) Free public all day parking, nice graded manicured trail that meets precise slope standards, bathrooms, shower, drinking water, concession stand half way down the approx 1700ft trail. It's awesome diving! 3plus foot swells create a surging type of surf, it looks like river water, uprush and outrush. If it gets rougher while in, exit the cobblestone beach. People are nice there!

---------- Post Merged at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:08 PM ----------

If you don't know anything about Laguna Beach diving, and you consider going there...a few things you should know. By law you are required at Laguna's City Beaches to carry a snorkel, also you have to have a dive buddy. No Dive Instuction courses after 10am (when the lifeguards show up!) M-F on at least Divers Cove and maybe more, because residents do no like to hear spurts of gas or sounds of fun coming from divers. Also this time of year during the SW swell energy direction Laguna LifeGuards can harrass you and tell you if you get in the water and need rescuing, they'll purposely cut your gear off and leave it, in the water, or if the swell has a mix of height ranging from 2foot to 5 or more feet, they will close the beaches along with Orange County as a whole!! It's now completely MPA! Just know all of the City Ordinances if you want to enjoy public diving at Laguna, the LifeGuards will cite you, no exception! The offenses are misdemeaners.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom