Any good stretching DVDs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluebanded goby

Contributor
Reaction score
I've become aware while carrying out a regimen of strength training and core work for the past few months that I'm *way* less flexible than a lot of people I exercise with.

Has anyone ran across any good DVDs devoted to stretching that they can recommend? Cameron Martz has excellent sets of head-to-toe stretches in his book Fitness for Divers. A lot of mornings, though, having a smiling exercise leader on a TV screen makes it go a lot easier ... :wink:

I did check out various trainers on the Fit TV channel, and had the best reaction to Cathe Friedrich. However, I found in watching demos of a couple of her stretching videos that they moved pretty of fast. I'm thinking that for someone as tight as me I really need to be holding positions for at least 20 seconds.

I've become aware while carrying out a regimen of strength training and core work for the past few months that I'm *way* less flexible than a lot of people I exercise with.

Has anyone ran across any good DVDs devoted to stretching that they can recommend? Cameron Martz has excellent sets of head-to-toe stretches in his book Fitness for Divers. A lot of mornings, though, having a smiling exercise leader on a TV screen makes it go a lot easier ... :wink:

I did check out various trainers on the Fit TV channel, and had the best reaction to Cathe Friedrich. However, I found in watching demos of a couple of her stretching videos that they moved pretty of fast. I'm thinking that for someone as tight as me I really need to be holding positions for at least 20 seconds.

Rehab Videos

You can download a QuickTime video of the "How to Stretch" or the entire DVD image and burn it yourself. FYI, Dr. Hastings is a former commercial diver.

Do yoga. Helps with breathing as well.

Adelman, thanks for the link to the chiropractor's stretching video, I'll check it out.

Merxlin, any yoga DVD you'd recommend for this purpose? I tried a class at a local center not long ago, but it was very fast-moving -- lots of cardio and muscle training, not really strictly stretching.

Has anyone ran across any good DVDs devoted to stretching that they can recommend?

Active Isolated Stretching (AIS) Techniques for Athletes – Athletic Stretching Techniques

This is fantastic! The problem with holding a stretch too long is that the muscle will go into a protective phase and will actually contract. Which is counter-productive to the stretch that you are trying to do. Our instructor was a former dancer with CATS and was the most limber person I have ever met. He swears by Aaron Mattes. If you are looking for assisted stretching, call some local massage therapists and ask them if they do Assisted Isolated Stretching.

Another suggestion is the PNF stretch. First you contract the muscle that you wish to stretch for 10 seconds, then you stretch it for 2 seconds. Continue this until you achieve the desired range of motion. This is best done with a partner. What muscles exactly are you wanting to stretch??

Thanks for the suggestions, those sound like more things to check out.

Scubastaci, I think in my case the question more would be which muscles aren't I wanting to stretch? If I sit on the floor with my legs out straight, I have a hard time bending forward at the waist very far (not the case if sitting cross-legged). I think I was told once by a physical therapist that I need a major campaign on my quadriceps and hamstrings. In addition, on the shoulder front, I don't think I could do a valve drill to save my life. :shakehead:

I just did Yoga Core Cross Train wtih Rodney Yee. Was a great core workout and stretch, especially stretching the core muscles. I'd recomend it (btw...it's available on netflix)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom