Any help for a littlin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks again to all those who responded,

But surely there must be other trades for diving other than DM/Inst. A friend was telling me that there's good money to be made diving around cities photographing pipe lines and cables for genral mantainance. Anymore opinions would be appreciated

Childofwu,
If you are looking for a major career change, one idea might be commercial diving, working at ports, industrial sites, etc. Don't know about the training centers available in China or that part of the fish pond, course we have several centers in the US. Just a thought. :eek:)

Child,
Sorry, just saw your questions. Living costs in Japan vary depending on your location and lifestyle. I'm from California, and I'll say this about that: I'm paying half here what I would back home in taxes (income, vat, etc). Also, my rent is about a third of what it would be back home (in the Bay Area...think $$$). That being said, I live in Nagoya which is known to be a"comfortable" city to live in. Of course there are trade offs, but I'm making the same money I did back home but pocketing more due to lower rent and taxes. Of course I don't drive, so That cuts down on expenses (although cars are cheap and Japan has the second lowest fuel costs in the world). The main expense here is food. Nearly everything is imported, so it costs more, but I'm doing better here than back home, financially. There are of course other challenges...
If you want to live in a four-bedroom house and drive a Ford Explorer while sending your kids to a good school and soccer camp...it might be a bit pricey but for single old me, it's affordable enough. Send me a pm if you have any other questions. Also, do let me know when you find that high-paying diving job. I'd love to join you. Seems that just ain't the way the cookie crumbles, but maybe I'm wrong...

Back
Top Bottom