Any Idea What This Is - Annelid of some type?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good catch. No idea either. like Quero, I was leaning towards some sort of "spaghetti worm". But there seem to be very few tentacles and the body segments look very long for a terebellidae.

Where was the picture taken? The nudi looks like a white-patch aeolid.

---------- Post added September 22nd, 2013 at 10:12 AM ----------

P.s. and a learning moment for me... Spaghetti worms (terebellidae) include the medusa worm but do not appear to be related to sea cucumbers. But I do agree that it could be something similar to a hidden or beaded sea cucumber.

Well, common names are sometimes shared between unrelated species. But the one I was referring to, Synaptula is part of the sea cucumber family. The animal in the picture may not actually be one of those, though, as I peer at it longer---there seem to be too many tentacle-like things at the lower end of it. But anyway, I'm not very good with worm IDs or even sea cucumber IDs, so I could be way off.

We have a ribbon worm in Puget Sound that is red and has cross-banding in white, that somewhat resembles the photo, but I don't know what the oral tentacles would look like. Certainly the tentacles do look like sea cucumber.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom