Any input on Grenada?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gasweenie

Reaction score
I'm thinking about going to Grenada for a few days and had a couple of questions:

1) Any recommendations on where to stay? I'm not looking for anything fancy- maybe around the $100 US range.

2) Any recommendations on dive operators?

3) Did you do any top-side activities such as hiking the rainforests?

Thanks in advance.

-Kevin

They have a world-class wreck dive, the Bianca C, if its within your experience level.

WW

The Bianca C just didn't grab me. It was, however, the best part of diving Grenada. This is a statement limited by the fact that the only dive ops I was (and am) aware of are clustered around the population center in the South.

There was a liveaboard plying the waters until recently. Honestly- that would be the only way I could recommend selecting the beautiful island for a diving destination. The best diving (for me) was off of the NE tip near the cluster of islands that stand off shore.

I don't believe that any operation serves that specific area any longer.

The interior of the island is quite picturesque. If you are goingt there no matter what, by all means- do the Bianca-C, but be aware of conbditions and abilities as previously posted. Be sure to "swim" in this ill fated cruise ship's pool.

Great diving in Grenada, but not for the average beginner. Currents are extremely heavy and reefs start at 60 feet. The bianca-c is nice...but the bow is at 90 feet and it is a challenging dive.

If you want to go, the best DM on the island is Paul Ward. He used to work at "Sanvic's Dive & WAtersports", but he started his own operation. He's a pro of the highest quality and a nice guy to drink beers with after diving, to boot.

Have fun

EC

If Grenada is similar to the Grenadines to its north (I was in Bequia last year), expect water visibility to be in the ~40ft range with a green tint, which means so-so conditions for dramatic wide angle photography. On the upbeat, the reefs are good for macro critter stuff...banded coral shrimp, etc...and Bequia is one of the few places I've been in the Caribbean where I've generally seen a Scorpionfish on every dive.

-hh

Yes, you have it right. 40-60 feet of visability with a green tint is a perfect description and expect to see massive groupers (I saw a few in the 500-600 lb range), huge rays and the occasional large reef shark. You'll also see very unusually large crustaceans, morays and barracuda.

I liked the area. It wasn't like a lot of the caribbean....

EC

Eklipso:
Great diving in Grenada, but not for the average beginner. Currents are extremely heavy and reefs start at 60 feet. The bianca-c is nice...but the bow is at 90 feet and it is a challenging dive.

If you want to go, the best DM on the island is Paul Ward. He used to work at "Sanvic's Dive & WAtersports", but he started his own operation. He's a pro of the highest quality and a nice guy to drink beers with after diving, to boot.

Have fun

EC

Paul works for Aquanauts now (www.aquanautsgrenada.com). One of the better places to stay is the Grenada Grand. Spice Island and the Rex Grenadian are nice too.

Too see pics of Grenadian diving, see:
http://albums.stracke.us/thumbnails.php?album=4

Back
Top Bottom