Any more details regarding the diving fatality in Hayama?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Would be very intersted in hearing more about this incident as facts come to light. So far, Mar Scuba posted that voluntary buddy "separation" was in play.

Please post as you hear more facts...

Age is 40, male, one year scuba experience, total 4 divers on the dive, it seems to be no professional guided dive
Location is Hayama Ishiki, 100m away from shore, We call the point as Shibazaki.
Solo at that time because all divers came up with a colleague in bad condition then he only returned to the under water as sole

He was found in 2m of depth and 30m away from fishery harbour tomorrow.

That's all at this moment.

Thanks Nori
Have you heard any indication of the circumstances leading to the fatality. Having dove Hayama a couple of times, although it's not very deep, I could see how someone might get into trouble with the surge/surf and all those rocky outcroppings. Any word on that?

As you know the average depth is 10m and no special danger as far as I know but.......

The cause has been unknown.

Probably eternaly unknown as in the past, I think.

JAG, any special reason why you want to know the reason for the diver's accident.

Classic case of a clusterbomb (word edited for this post). One thing goes wrong, you call the dive. Don't call the dive, continue without following the plan, multiple things go wrong, people end up dead.

Sorry that he decided to go on his own and his buddies are probably even more sorry that they didn't stop him.

No more "facts" to tell, as you know, newspaper articles don't necessary report the facts.

Mar Scuba:
JAG, any special reason why you want to know the reason for the diver's accident.

A person's life was ended in a place that I have done before and am likely to dive again. Seems reasonable enough to inquire about...

Mar Scuba:
Classic case of a clusterbomb (word edited for this post). One thing goes wrong, you call the dive. Don't call the dive, continue without following the plan, multiple things go wrong, people end up dead...No more "facts" to tell, as you know, newspaper articles don't necessary report the facts.

Maybe, but there might be some folks in the area that have heard more. Was it an entanglement, did he mismanage his air, did he perhaps suffer an impact...I always like to read about these incidents and hear that facts so I can remind myself of the specifics that can add up to disaster. Seems like lots of other people like to read and learn as well. The accients and incidents section has tons of hits...

I suppose you also have an interest because he was a de facto solo diver.

However, I would be more interested to know how boat operators are working to make dive ops safer and how not to give divers haircuts.

This accident was easily preventable. The dive should have been called, simple as that.

I agree with Nori, probably no more facts are forthcoming. You'll get more information if you ask the local authorities rather than this board. If it occurred at a dive site with dive service on location such as Osezaki, etc. then maybe we could obtain more intel.

Suggest that you contact the dive service in Hayama.

You might also want to call DAN Japan or the Coast Guard and see if they have any details of the accident. Let us know the results of your investigation.

Back
Top Bottom