Any NAVY S.E.A.L.s on here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is something farily new (within the last 1-2 years)... I spoke with a PADI instructor who was one of the program coordinators (from Scuba.com)... Its not like they are really doing anything special... I may have misheard him and maybe its only a divemaster cert, but still I know those guys do ALOT of diving so they SHOULD get something in return.. I mean hell, those guys are better trained with rebreathers than most of the instructors out there.... Try swimming with that and an m-4 and about 50 pounds in gear in a rucksack.... talk about mastering trim!!

Oh and by the way KidK9, I HIGHLY doubt that anyone who really is a SEAL will actually tell you so on here....

Stryker:
This is something farily new (within the last 1-2 years)... I spoke with a PADI instructor who was one of the program coordinators (from Scuba.com)... Its not like they are really doing anything special... I may have misheard him and maybe its only a divemaster cert, but still I know those guys do ALOT of diving so they SHOULD get something in return.. I mean hell, those guys are better trained with rebreathers than most of the instructors out there.... Try swimming with that and an m-4 and about 50 pounds in gear in a rucksack.... talk about mastering trim!!

Oh and by the way KidK9, I HIGHLY doubt that anyone who really is a SEAL will actually tell you so on here....
OK, if this is for a civilian cross over card it's not new. I served between 1964 and 1970. They would have handed us an AOW card if we requested it. I already had a NAUI OW card so I didn't do it. But you have to remember back then there wasn't all the money grabbing certifications like there is today and it was tough to get through a civilian school.

I don't have a problem with this at all but I will raise cane if they start handing out instructor certs. Just because one carries the "Military Diver" tag, be it SCUBA or Master does not quailfy them as instructors. Instructors for military divers maybe but not civilian divers.

Stryker, I wish it was only 2-3 months of 5 days a week. Mine was a total of 28 weeks of 6 days a week on 8-12 hour days. Just 2nd class was 16 weeks, 6 days a week for 8-12 hours a day. :D They tried hard to damage our minds and bodies.

One thing everyone needs to keep in mind is those who brag about being SEALS have seen the movie. Those who keep quiet about it just might be one. Just like military Snipers, the braggers aren't.

Gary D.

I don't think it would be wrong to give a Navy SEAL a PADI Dive Master Certification. I think with their training and experience, they earned it. Being a Instructor is more than being an expert diver. Just because you are an expert diver, does not mean you will be a good instructor. A good diver does not mean a good instructor. You have to be able to transfer your experience and training to someone who know's nothing about diving (or very little).

murphdivers286:
I don't think it would be wrong to give a Navy SEAL a PADI Dive Master Certification. I think with their training and experience, they earned it. Being a Instructor is more than being an expert diver. Just because you are an expert diver, does not mean you will be a good instructor. A good diver does not mean a good instructor. You have to be able to transfer your experience and training to someone who know's nothing about diving (or very little).

being an instructor make one a good diver?

I am a retired Navy Deepsea Diver (Hardhat) I spent 19 of my 24 years in the Navy in that field and my last 5 years I spent in a support billet running a Dive Locker for a SEAL command. First, SEAL's only get a few weeks of actual diver training with the continuing requalification dives throughout training in contrast to the 13 weeks a Navy Deepsea diver goes through. Second, they tend to dive infrequently throughout their careers many times having to do all of their requalification dives on one day at the end of the qualification period. Third, I know PADI had said they would recognize Navy Second Class Divers (basic Hardhat) and above as Open water divers but I have never heard of them giving anything above that level. Even though the Second Class diver has gone through 13 weeks of intensive training in all aspects of diving physiology, and physics, recompression chamber theory and operation, diving medicine etc. all they get is open water. Seals only get basic SCUBA in their training then get into the closed circuit training which is much more intense but does little to prepare a diver for Divemaster. I do know of Navy Divers and SEAL's who are instructors from various diver certifying orginizations who will take students out and certify them for a open water card or a speacilty card on their off weekends so they can recreational dive on their free time because there are still many dive operations that won't recognize their Navy Diver cards.

Stryker, are you saying that people on the board won't say they are SEALs? Or are you saying the guy I work with isn't a Navy SEAL? I hope it's the former.

First - I'm always looking for dive buddies. If there are any former Navy divers or SEALs (or even a Marine Force Recon) out there on the board - PLEASE look me up. I would be honored and privileged to dive with you, with or without a c card. First beer is on me too.

My experience is not about diving, but it's close IMHO.

When I left the Navy, the FAA would not let me fly for profit OR fun without civilian ratings. When I got my Naval Aviator wings (71), we could get a commercial license (not what the airlines need) without any flight checks by taking a "military equivalence" written examination but that's a federal law thingy.

PADI, NAUI etc are not exactly in the same league legally but I think we all see the point about learning (especially for an instructor) the nuances of rec diving - just take a look at the Navy dive tables if you don't think they have different rules. HOWEVER, just like I could not make a leap between Navy antiques and 727s without some checks, it was a lot easier for me then for some kid who had been flying Cessnas. Beyond the commericial rating, you had to take the FAA check rides, although some commands would allow use of military planes, gas etc. to take on your checkride.

I would think the diving associations (IANTD, PADI, NAUI etc) groups would have some fast paths for experienced military divers, and if I was a dive shop owner I'd LOVE to have bragging rights that I had a real Navy Diver on staff. They would have to learn the peculiarities that I'm thinking the Navy doesn't have the cycles to teach to Navy Divers, let alone SEALs within focused military training objectives.

Someone should check the dive shops around Little Creek or Coronado and ask if they do "referrals" for the Navy.

As a taxpayer, I would hope and pray the Navy has the good sense to offer some good deals to their diving community to keep these folks happy and serving. Like me, some may want to use some of their skills in a civilian carrer when they get out, and I think it's in our best interest to foot the bill.

Mark
ps - if you know a Force Recon Marine, read this to him.

I was not saying at all that the guy you know wasnt a SEAL... I meant if there are people on this board who are CURRENTLY SEALs they will most likely keep their mouth shut about it. Its like Gary. D said, the ones who really are dont brag about it.... Its not all fun and games like TV and the movies make it out to be... Its a VERY dangerous and secretive job... Most of what they do no one will ever know about, so therefor why would they risk any of that by telling everyone how cool they are since they are seals?

I have met a handful in my time in the Navy, and they usually are the keep to themselves kind of people... Nice guys, but unfortunately they cant tell you anything about waht they do beyond BUD/s....

Also those of you trying to get some of them to dive with you, (correct me if im wrong) but the job of a SEAL does not offer them much free time with their life...A Family friend's brother was a seal back in the early 90's and had just gotten married, and he was told to expect to be away from home 280-300 days out of the year.... They are CONSTANTLY training and deploying all over the world... you may get lucky, but I wouldnt get your hopes up... most of them probably dont have the time to even post on a message board such as this..... :wink:

That's cool Stryker, thanks for the clarification.

I am prior military, my son is leaving for the Navy in less than 4 months and I am presently working on my PADI IDC. I am in no way knocking PADI or the military. I just don't see similarities between SEAL Dive training and PADI Instructor training. It doesn't seem logical that SEALs would be given an instructor cert. There are a couple of certifications they would possibly qualify for under the PADI flag, but I am at a loss how Instructor fits in. Could they become PADI Instructors, certainly. But spending the time to get Seals thru the IDC and IE, IMO, has nothing to do with training SEALS for their mission.

Julie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom