Any of you guys BSAC Instructors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ian Wigg

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi

I'm getting very p****d off at the speed (or lack of it) my training is going with my club - I'm still awaiting, after about 9 months, to start my open water dive training. I just keep getting - don't worry you'll get there.

I don't want to swap over to PADI at this stage - any BSAC Instructors out there who could help me out?

I know one thing - my Sports Diver is going to be done at a BSAC school.

Ian

Is there another branch where you can go?

I was in the Bracknell club years ago and their pace was much quicker than what you are seeing. Seems you should have access to a club branch outing at least once a month and go from snorkle through one star in six months or so.

Perhaps you should talk to HQ if the branch DO doesn't have a good answer for the slow pace.

Many of us found the club system slow and inadequate for our training needs. Although at times some clubs have a good training infrastructure with many willing active competant instructors, it is the exception. Sometimes the training is not "expert" or not available. Finding a club that can properly cater for your training needs when your starting out, is very much a case of luck. If you are to remain in that club you must be patient, which is very difficult to say to someone who is obviously frustrated with their apparant lack of progress. Constructive critisism in an attempt to improve the system is generally futile as the club structure is hierarchical and volunteer instructors are liable to take offence and become even less co-operative. About 25% of the association members quit every year and numbers are substained by constant recruitment. Efforts to analyse these figures and determine what we should or could be doing to reduce it, are seen by some as damaging to the moral and to some extent there is an atmosphere of political correctness where fault finding is regarded as sacrilege. I think it is probably best and cheaper if you pay for professional instruction. "Free" training is not cheaper if it only amounts to following some oblivious diver around for a comple of years.
Training with a volunteer instructor from another club is often resented, if you go outside your club, find someone who is prepared to commit themselves to training you and join their club.

My advice would be to go the PADI route up to rescue diver & then cross over to sports diver. That should leave you with only a couple of dives & lectures to do. Thats the way i went, not intentionally but if i had the choice that's the way i'd do it again. Gildy do all 3 courses for £444. May sound alot i know but in a month you'll be a rescue diver. Then to improve your diving & safety here in the uk go over to BSAC.
Cheers
Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom