Any one used those 149 cu.ft steel tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you thought of triple 7.25" 100s with 2 of them manifolded as doubles and the third as a redundant air supply. Thermo makes a close spaced crossover to put the tanks closer togeather for less total width. You could also dive them as doubles or a single depending on the dive plan.

Assuming that your profile is accurate and that you really are an AOW diver why do you need double 130's? That is a huge amount of gas and will let you get into massive amounts of deco. 130's are also damn heavy and not inexpensive either.

They are a great tool for some dives (below,say,200 feet and caves) but I only use them when nothing else will do.

To heck with a tiny 149 cu ft tank... I'm waiting for twin 199's. I could get into some serious trouble with a pair of those babies, especially if I dive them with my 28# wing. Oops, I think I forgot my medication...

For us, one advantage of packing 150-160 ft of Nitrox in a single tank happens fairly often...we are going out floundering or on shallow dives and weight/space on the boat is limited. On those dives, when we can only bring one tank...I appreciate every bit of air that can be packed. I also have no problem with the longer tank, in fact it balances nicely. We will sometimes do 3 dives on one tank so yes....there is a nice advantage having that space.

Cheers, Roadtrip.

Assuming that your profile is accurate and that you really are an AOW diver why do you need double 130's? That is a huge amount of gas and will let you get into massive amounts of deco. 130's are also damn heavy and not inexpensive either.

They are a great tool for some dives (below,say,200 feet and caves) but I only use them when nothing else will do.

I'm planning on using them individually for a while, but I want to get my cave card within a few years and I dont want to buy a bunch of tanks to "work my way up" to appropriate cave tanks.

To heck with a tiny 149 cu ft tank... I'm waiting for twin 199's. I could get into some serious trouble with a pair of those babies, especially if I dive them with my 28# wing. Oops, I think I forgot my medication...

Here ya go, Bill. Just add valves and a manifold and you're good to go!

water_heaters.jpg

I have 2 Lp 125's (2400 psi) and recently got the 149 (3445 psi) and I don't make any weight belt adjustments going back and forth. The shop started giving us trouble about filling the LP to over 3000 psi, so i bought two new tanks: a 149 and a 117.

My friend uses the 149's as doubles and with 2 80 cuft stage bottles, I really don't know how he swims. The single tanks work great for me and I can often get 2 or even 3 recreational dives on the single big tank, especially if I whip a little gas off another tank for the third dive. When diving with a 3 mm full suit, I wear zero lead and I am actually heavier than I would like.

Hi DumpsterDiver,

...may I ask who manufacturered your new 149 cu. ft. tank? Is it a Worthington and did you get it from OMS ?

Thanks,

Karl

I don't even know. they are painted white and my buddy got a deal for around $300 so I bought a few more.. Sorry they had no stickers. Faber?

I now have a new 149 and a new 117, two 125's and two 112's and a 100 Al and 6-8 80's and some pony bottles. I don't pay that much to the tanks.

Normally I dive with Worthington HP 120 while spearfishing.
However I did acquired a pair for of new Faber HP 149 for christmas.

The good. In a recreational dive profile. Especially in shallower water (45ft). I can use the same tank for two dives. One less tank to have to bring.

The Bad. Even in spearfishing dive profile. It is pretty hard to burn that much air before going into deco. Much more weight and drag with no real return.

IMHO - the 120 are more practical - at least for my style of diving.
If your lungs are indeed that big or your diving do requires 149cf. PM me - maybe we can work something out. Been wet twice. Currently has Nitrox 32.

I do shallow reef shore dives with a faber 120 which lasts me about 2 hours. At 25 ft their is no deco limit on my computer so I'm considering a 149 to stay down even longer. I'm 6'5 320 and walking back to the car after kicking for 2 hours with the 120 is tiring sometimes, hopefully I'll make it back with a 149. If you see me on the beach sucking air feel free to stop kick me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom