Any operators in Phan Nga that work with disabled people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AleG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a friend that is planning to go to Phan Nga (Khao Lak) in a few weeks, his girlfriend suffered a motorbike accident at Koh Phangan a couple years ago just a few days before they were planning to go on a liveaboard trip to the Similans.

She's paraplegic, has to use a wheelchair, so they are looking for a dive operator that can work with disabled people. I hope someone here may know who they could contact.

I am sure lots of operators could handle the situation. Is the girlfriend certified already? Certified by an agency that deals with disabled students? The reason I ask is that the White Manta has a group from Norway that comes down every year for a trip. Several of the divers in the group have no or minimal use of their legs. They are all quite decent divers though and all were certified after their disability. I wish I could remember the name of the agency but.... early onset Alzheimer's is a bitch.

There are several agencies that offer "adaptive scuba" training. One North-America-based agency is called HSA. And a Europe-based one is called IAHD. Either/both should be able to point a prospective diver towards operations/instructors that have committed to adaptive scuba in various ways--some by including staff with adaptive scuba instructor or buddy training in their ranks, some that actively offer adaptive scuba courses, some that have fitted their boats to accept wheelchair-bound divers, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom