Any problems with these two dive computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JaxvilleDiver:
The Aeris Atmos Elite Hoseless is a great computer...have heard great things about it and own one myself...Great little computer!

On the other hand the Uwatec Aladin Air Z Nitrox Wrist Computer...I've heard nothing good about them...never owned one myself, however demoed one and I personally did not like it.

Different strokes for different folks.

Dive Safe!!!
What have you heard about the uwatec? I just got an air z o2 (used) with the wireless o2 sensor for my rebreather. I put new sensors in it, are there other issues I should know about?

JaxvilleDiver:
That's a first I have heard about that...no I take that back, I had a customer bring his in after every trip he was on ...there are some things that are recommended to have done by a professional (like taking the thing apart). It causes the computer to have irrepairable problems.

Have never heard of an Aeris (or other computer for that matter) just "breaking down" on someone before....they usually run out of battery life first.

Not saying that your friend tried "cleaning it" like the person mentioned above, but it sounds strange. I've been selling them for years and have never had (aside from the one mentioned above) any complaints.

Dive Safe!!!

I have been told that the Aeris has had problems with there computers leaking. Water gets into the display.

Has anyone else heard of this problem?

zyxomma:
I am looking at purchessing a new dive computer. I have narrowed it down to a hoseless dive computer that I want. I am looking at one of the two:

Aeris Atmos Elite Hoseless Wrist Computer

Uwatec Aladin Air Z Nitrox Wrist Computer

What are peoples thoughts and finding on these two items?
i,d go for the uwatec

opiniongirl:
Uwatec is also good, but a little harder to find service wise - depending on where you're from. Also, I may be wrong on this - but I think the batteries are a pain in the butt to change - the soldering in kind, or they have a funky battery, or you have to send it in...not 100% sure, but I remember uwatec being a pain...
Not sure of the details on how the battery is changed in the Uwatec, but, I do know it is not user changeable. However, if you buy it new, it does come with a Lifetime battery card for the original user.

opiniongirl:
Uwatec is also good, but a little harder to find service wise - depending on where you're from. Also, I may be wrong on this - but I think the batteries are a pain in the butt to change - the soldering in kind, or they have a funky battery, or you have to send it in...not 100% sure, but I remember uwatec being a pain...

I like the Uwatec Smart-Com a lot.

The batteries are not field or user servicable, however, this is a feature, not a defect. The reason they're not field serviceable is that the case is filled with oil and completely sealed.

This means that there's almost no chance of water leakage, or battery connection problems due to an improperly sealed case.

Terry

Quarrior:
Not sure of the details on how the battery is changed in the Uwatec, but, I do know it is not user changeable. However, if you buy it new, it does come with a Lifetime battery card for the original user.
I just dove with someone today that had one and he has had the same battery since '97 and does 100+ dives a year so I think the uwatec batteries must be pretty good.

wedivebc:
What have you heard about the uwatec? I just got an air z o2 (used) with the wireless o2 sensor for my rebreather. I put new sensors in it, are there other issues I should know about?

The major issues that I have encountered or heard about with the "u-ain't-a-tek" computer are:

1. Sensor problems...sounds like you are one up on that one.

2. They tend to give inaccurate readings (the hoseless ones) in the 0-30fsw range.

3. They have a tendency to leak at depths greater than 120fsw.

4. They are not user or field friendly (ie: your battery goes out on vacation, no one services uwatec - hopefully you had the hindsight to pack along a set of analog gauges.)

5. Too conservative (I think that's a personal thing though)

* :11: There are defects with almost anything that we buy :11: I'm not saying that UWATEC is inferior to any other brand of computer, I'm just making you aware of problems that I have encountered / heard of in the past.

** :crafty: As long as your equipment is properly serviced at the proper intervals you should have no forseeable problems :crafty:

wedivebc:
I just dove with someone today that had one and he has had the same battery since '97 and does 100+ dives a year so I think the uwatec batteries must be pretty good.

Hmm, that's a first I have heard of any computer...highly doubtful that the computer was used on all of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom