Any proof that dive computers improve safety?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a shot back.
1-st, you make too many assumptions. You seem to assume that everyone wearing a comp knows how to use it and has it in order. Well, I do not think so. On my last trip, for example, there was one guy who just got his comp, so he was RTFM-ing between the dives for the 1st 3 days, till he got it right (or maybe gave up, no idea).

The computer is a data recorder for the chamber operator so there's less guessing when trying to figure out what the diver did.

Regardless of whether or not the diver knows what he's doing, a computer lets the dive op know if the diver did anything amazingly stupid. If the diver surfaces and the computer is locked out and beeping, it's easy enough to know that the diver is done at least for the day and needs to be watched for symptoms.

Terry

It's interesting that there are "scuba police" in some countries, for instance Israel.

The goverment agency is the "Israel Dive Authority" (IDA), which requires that all scuba DM and Instructors wear computers when on duty. This is the law. This allows the IDA to analyze all scuba accidents that are done under a DM/Instructor, and since most dives are guided, you get the course dives and the tourist dives as well. Plus, when I have been diving with instructor friends, they always wear their computers because it's part of their gear. Therefore off duty accidents/fatalities of DM/Instructors are analyzed as well.

one time at a new resort, i claimed that i had done sixteen dives in the past week, and the operator wanted to look into my computer logs

the computer log said i'd been at a bar drinking beer for ten of the sixteen dives, and home sleeping for the next six

it happened to be true, but how did the computer know?

it happened to be true, but how did the computer know?

We dive operations have magic software that lets us know if your computer went diving without you.

lol .... yup

i had borrowed a buddie's computer ... he had been diving up a storm while i hadn't been diving in about four months

I would venture that the data doesn't exist, in the manner you asked the question. First, you would have to do a representative sample of dives. Then, within that sample, you'd have to know which ones were computer dives, and which were table dives. Then, beyond that, you'd actually have to have some accident statistics. But with the statistics, you'd have to separate out the issues of "accidents" in which the proximate "cause" was the computer.

If you look at dive accident statistics (DAN has good info), you can look at the data and see a wide range of issues. Was the accident "caused" by the computer? I would venture to say that it most cases it was not. Many accidents involve out-of-air situations. Many others involve diver panic, in which they drown with air in their tanks and, alas, their weights in their weight belt. i am not aware of someone getting "bad data" from their computer that leads to a problem.

Consider what computers "do". What is happening is they are continuously tracking your dive profile, and applying a mathematical algorithm to various tissue classes (fast and slow) within your body, working off of measurable Doppler data, along with theoretical diffusion rates of the tissue gasses. The tables, conversely, are working with a bit more "crude" data, and assuming you are diving a "square" profile. So if you were to graph the two different real-time profiles, and take the area under the depth vs. time curve on each graph, this would be roughly analogous to your "allowed" time and also relates to your residual nitrogen. Obviously, accounting for a non-square profile would equate to less residual nitrogen (for same max depth), which would equate to either a smaller surface interval for the next same-depth dive (as compared to the tables), and/or give you more bottom time for the same-depth dive, as compared to the tables, on the next dive.

HOWEVER, there are many factors affecting DCS. You could be perfect on your dive, and shoot up the last 20 feet and get bent, even with a computer. You hydration levels make a huge difference, too.

Tables and computers both are a guide. Yes, they are predominately "safe", but this is for an average diver. An individual with underlying respiratory conditions, lack of hydration, blood infection, etc. could massively impact the bodies ability to properly off-gas the residual nitrogen in a timely, effective manner. That is why your DM should ask you after a dive if you are feeling well. That is why you should also tell your dive buddy and the DM if there is anything that seems not quite right.

But computers are just a tool, working off models from the best information currently available. Not understanding how your own works is cause for concern. Not understanding the ascent alarms, the stop recommendations, etc. can lead to further issues - especially when doing repetitive diving.

I have one that there is no doubt that a computer makes you safer and it goes like this: For some reason rescue, emergency, or circumstances beyond your control you go into deco? I want my computer, it maybe a 3 min. required stop or a 5 min. required stop? But if there has been stress I don't want to have to remember the tables and what they sad! I want my computer to count down and tell where to stop for how long! I might even add to the time, but it is there "Helping me stay safe"!

Now I never would tell someone to push it to the deco as a recreational diver, but pooh happens!

Of course using a computer adds little to one's safety margin IF the diver doesn't actually look at the computer while diving. We all know of divers who don't look at their SPGs or depth gauges.

Personally, I feel much safer diving my computer on days I'm doing repetitive dives, especially to significant depth. I even use redundant computers since I've had a battery fail prematurely on a long deco dive. I forgot to strap mine on for my first dive Sat (to 130 ft) and spent the rest of the day trying to compensate for that on my other two dives.

It has been decades since I've dived with the tables.

This is, considering the distances, like asking if making calculations with a calculator is safer than doing them by hand, or with a calculator ruler or using the old logarithm tables.
I've being diving with the tables since my start. I do consider that having a PDC will be much easier and real than what I calculate by hand.

Besides, there is no warranty that calculations done with the tables are well done. There is also no warranty that the PDC is correctly set and the diver understands the output data.

Using tables, PDC, or proper gear does not warrant that the diver is going to be safer. Safety is in the diver itself. Using the right gear, using the gear in the right way and doing things as should be done.

Attachments

• regla_calculo.jpg
    regla_calculo.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 33
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom