Any recommendations for Cabo Pulmo in May?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm going to have one day available for diving on May 20 (Saturday) in Cabo Pulmo. Anybody have any recommendations for a dive op, or what to see?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

We were in Cabo Pulmo in March and did four dives (rough water precluded diving on two days) with Mar y Sierra. Thierry Lannoy, one of the owners, took care of our gear and arranged the dives.....because he now restricts his number of dives we actually went out with divemasters who own Diving Station. Hence I can recommend either company.

As well as diving you can also walk a long way on the beach, hike in the hills (desert) or drive a bit south to one of the other beach areas.

Thanks ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I dove with the house op of Cabo Pulmo Beach Resort. I think most of the ops there are on par since they all have to follow the fairly strict park rules and have the same site limitations. There was no EAN available during our visit there and AFAICT, that hasn't changed. You can do a morning and afternoon 2 dives each trip if you're feeling like it but the turn around is really quick.

My favorite dive in the north-central-ish region of the park was El Bajo - that's where we saw the tornado of jacks that shows up on so many photos and videos of Cabo Pulmo. If your boat ends up towards the south, Los Frailes Rincon is very nice (totally different topography from the rest of the reefs, very rocky and almost Pacific coast like) and La Lobera is right next to it (super shallow, almost certain to have a bunch of sea lions very close to you)

If you have time for lunch, I highly recommend La Palapa on the beach - fish tacos were epic.

I dove with the house op of Cabo Pulmo Beach Resort. I think most of the ops there are on par since they all have to follow the fairly strict park rules and have the same site limitations. There was no EAN available during our visit there and AFAICT, that hasn't changed. You can do a morning and afternoon 2 dives each trip if you're feeling like it but the turn around is really quick.

My favorite dive in the north-central-ish region of the park was El Bajo - that's where we saw the tornado of jacks that shows up on so many photos and videos of Cabo Pulmo. If your boat ends up towards the south, Los Frailes Rincon is very nice (totally different topography from the rest of the reefs, very rocky and almost Pacific coast like) and La Lobera is right next to it (super shallow, almost certain to have a bunch of sea lions very close to you)

If you have time for lunch, I highly recommend La Palapa on the beach - fish tacos were epic.

We have been going out with Cabopulmodiving for years. We really like diving with Pilu. When she is not available, all the DMs she has working with her have been great. The divers with her are usually experienced which us nice,. The park limits BT to 45 minutes. Just the way it is. The park is now very regulated but the upside is a healthy fishy environment and not having a bunch of groups on the same site. We have come to enjoy divinhpg in May. Not as crowded as the fall. Have fun.

In May 20-40 feet. Sometime a surprise super viz day. Never anything like the Caribbean but much fishier. We had been lucky enough to see the bull sharks every spring and fall for the last few yrs.

I enjoyed diving Pulmo around those dates...haven't seen the big schools or sharks, but very very fishy nonetheless, and the reef is still pretty awesome to dive along

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom