Any suggestions for managing a dive on a pitiful weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lisa0825

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I came to the Keys this weekend, and leave Monday. Friday was NOT a good experience at all. I'll get into details on that later when I get home. Today it is too gusty (22 to 30mph winds), and the dive op said they weren't even going out. Visibility is like pea soup. winds willgo down a bit tomorrow, but visibility will still be crap. I have a rental car, so I was wondering if there was anything within 4 hours' drive from the Keys where I could do a spring or something.... keeping in mind I am a total newbie and need some hand-holding.

The hotel staff mistakenly told me the rooms had internet access. They think when you have a phone line, you have internet. :huh: So I am checking from a cafe. If anyone would like to give me any input, I am staying at Lime Tree Bay 1-800-723-4519 or 1-305-664-4740. The room is in the name Devereaux.

I swore I'd appreciate the weekend, even knowing weather would be hit or miss, so I plan to hit Key West for the sunset party and check out some of the human wildlife. I'll make the best of it, but I'd prefer to at least get underwater once. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hey, Lisa, just wanted to say how sorry I am that your trip has been a blow-out. I could tell by your posts that you were really psyched for this trip. The nearest springs are north of Orlando, and that is a 5 hour ++ ride from Key Largo, and I think you are further down the Keys. Go down to KW and enjoy it. It's a neat experience. Hope that the seas lay down a little tomorrow afternoon. Don't worry about the vis; it changes so radically that pea soup today can be fine tomorrow (no guarantees). Plan on coming back as soon as you can. There are plenty of folks that'll guide you through a dive, that's never a problem.

Check out Jules Undersea Lodge in Key Largo. They have a protected Lagoon there. It may not be the great dive you imagined out on the reef but at least it's wet.

dkramer:
Check out Jules Undersea Lodge in Key Largo. They have a protected Lagoon there. It may not be the great dive you imagined out on the reef but at least it's wet.

Good idea. Since Lisa may have limited time for researching, here is a link to Jules Undersea Lodge diving page. One tank dive with all equipment is $50. Phone number is 305-451-2353.

Lisa0825:
I came to the Keys this weekend, and leave Monday. Friday was NOT a good experience at all. I'll get into details on that later when I get home. Today it is too gusty (22 to 30mph winds), and the dive op said they weren't even going out. Visibility is like pea soup. winds willgo down a bit tomorrow, but visibility will still be crap. I have a rental car, so I was wondering if there was anything within 4 hours' drive from the Keys where I could do a spring or something.... keeping in mind I am a total newbie and need some hand-holding.

Oh, what a bummer. I'm sorry to hear all that. That's the thing about diving: water, currents, winds, waves, boats, etc... Well, it's not something you can just count on the conditions for, not like, say, golf. But then, how much fun would it be to go play golf? I guess the times when it works out well make it worth it. You sound like you have a great attitude about it, though, and that's the most important.

I am coming down from NC next week. Sure hope conditions are improved by the time I stroll into town.

KeyLargoBrent:
Today's conditions should be nice, once this wind lays down.
Dang Brent, I sure do wish it was going to be nice up here. Jules is a great "get wet" place, but certainly understand that it's not a pretty reef, in fact, I only saw a handful a fish the last time I was there.

Sorry your diving got fubar'd, but at least your still here without worry. Have fun chica even if it means finding something else to do other than diving.

Blasting over from Texas City to lousy conditions in the Keys is a true bummer. You'd have been better off just partying hearty in Key West. I don't even bother diving down there in Key West unless it's with some gonzo guys with a 6-pack who dive the deep stuff, and that's a lot of work too. Much better to find a nice B&B that doesn't allow kids so you can relax.
Better luck on the next trip.

Thanks for the replies:)

I DID manage to get a dive in on Sunday, so all was not lost! I'll get into more detail later (I'm at work now) but I owe a big thank you to the owner of Conch Republic Divers for calling me at the hotel and setting me up with an instructor. THANKS!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom