any suggestions for things to do in Belize City?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mihrl

Reaction score
We will have two days to kill in Belize City in between our week at Blackbird Cay and the next flight to Roatan. Any suggestions for things to do in the area? Won't have a car.

Thanks,
Marge

you can take a taxi to the Belize zoo, its not way too far. If you take the bus they just drop you off on the highway out front and to get back you have to stand out on the highway again hoping that the bus comes back by. Our cabbie actually hung out at the zoo while we were there and then took us to a roadside restuarant called Cheers for great burgers. The british miliary will park their copters there to go in and grab food.

Also you can take a day trip and go inner tubing in the caves, don't know how far that drive is.

Also you can take a water taxi to some of the islands, like Caye Caulker or Ambergris Caye. I think its like $15 round trip, and there are hostels on the islands you could probably crash at for the night if you wanted to.

Sorry I didn't spend much time in Belize City other than the airport.

Belize city is not the nicest place in the world. I'd second Wendy in the idea to go to Caye Caulker, it's close to Belize City and water taxis are cheap.

Rachel

.........boat cruise. It is a lot of fun and takes about 2/3 of a day. We saw manatees, river porpise, howler monkeys, huge iguanas, crocadiles (sp?), bats, and more. You can also combine the trip with a visit to the Altun HA mayan ruins. You pick up your boat at the main harbor in Belize City and sit back for a great ride.

SterlingDiver

Hi Marge.

The first time I was in Belize we toured the ruins of Altun Ha. It's not the largest of ruins but quite cool.

On my second visit to Belize we took a jungle walk and cave tubing tour. It was WONDERFUL! I think the outfit is call Jaguar Paw. We were each given an inner tube and a head lamp. We walked thru the jungle for 30 or 40 minutes. It was quite beautiful but very muddy given the recent rains. If I did it again I'd wear my wetsuit booties.

Once we arrived at the river we swung down into the water with rope. Then it was sit in the tube and float. There was a series of caves and each was very interesting. Lots of rock formations and such. & the headlamps made it even more fun.

Definitely an experience I will never forget.

Have a great trip!
Paula

I agree that Caye Caulker is a nice place to visit if you were never there also the inland tours are very nice especially the cave tubing tours. In my opinion once you have seen one Mayan ruin you saw them all. The country and people out of the city are nice. I think the city will get better as time goes because of the tourist trade from tour ships.

Thanks, everybody. I appreciate the suggestions. Sounds like we can find enough to keep us occupied for a couple of days.

Marge

Back
Top Bottom