Belize April / May 2024

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StenieJ

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I’m booking my flights to Belize today or tomorrow but would love help from internet strangers. I am trying to figure out a good length of time to stay. At first there were only a few flights available so it was going to be 8 full days in Belize. But it looks like a bunch more flight have opened up for April & May 2024 and we can stay for longer. I’m thinking maybe 10 or 12 full days?

Top of my list, thank you Ralph for all the information you sent me! I am definitely going to spend a chunk of time in Placencia but would like to also go north. I’m trying to wrap my head around what dive areas are by which part of the country. It almost seems like you can dive anywhere from most places, but would like to try and be efficient in that area. I’m thinking about diving for 3 days, then exploring the country for the rest. We are all-inclusive resort travelers mostly, but not looking to do that this trip so it’s a whole new ball game. Looking for reasonable price places to sleep with walking distance food and drinks available.

Because my Alaska Airlines companion pass expires in a couple days, I have to book the flights now, but have 10 months to plan an itinerary. I would love any suggestions, thoughts, wisdom etc you all would like to pass along.

Hi @StenieJ

I don't know how far north you intend to go. I spent 2 nights and a day in Lamanai, touring the New River and the Mayan Ruins, had a great time. Brief description in my trip report, some photos post #11

Huracan dive lodge, you can do 3,4, or 7 days. IMO, it's the best diving in Belize. It is an interesting mix of rustic (= no AC, solar/generator power) and luxury (= amazing chef who prepares fresh meals everyday)!

Diving from Placencia takes a while as they have to travel out pretty far to get to the reef from down there. You could go up to Hopkins from Placencia and stay at Hamanasi. That is an amazing all-inclusive resort, they have a great dive operation and it doesn’t take long at all to get to the dive spots. If you continue north, the next spots would be the cayes. You have Caye caulker and ambergris Caye. San Pedro is on ambergris Caye, and there’s a bajillion dive choices there. For an all-inclusive, you could look at Victoria house, who can arrange dives, or ramon’s village resort for in-house dive operations.

For the non-diving stuff to do, I highly recommend a trip in to San Ignacio. Around there are jungle tours, rafting, caving, several large Mayan cities/temples to see and lots of good eating. I don’t know specific resorts to stay at over there though. it only takes about 3 hours to drive from the coast over to San Ignacio, and you’ll see some beautiful country on the way.

If we’re throwing mud at a wall to see if it will stick, let me offer up an overnight trip to the Tikal, Guatemala archaeological site.

We flew into Belize City, spent the night at the Radisson.

We had booked a private tour that picked us up early the next morning and took us through customs and then to Tikal.

We did a sunset tour that evening and then a sunrise tour the next morning, both with the same private guide.

Headed back toward Belize, did a tour of Xunantunich right after we crossed the border at San Ignacio and made our plane to Ambergris late that afternoon.

We did two days of local diving from Ambergris.

Didn’t opt for the Blue Hole three-tanker, as we had done the Blue Hole from Terneffe Flats a couple of years before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom