Any thoughts/reviews of Secrets Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I'm not complaining. Oceanview room at the Presidente runs $217/night with nothing more than free in-room coffee.

I saw TripAdvisor reviews where people were complaining about the condition of a $1,000/night hotel, but I have no idea how they paid that much. Booking direct, I was able to book the top room (private pool/solarium suite) for 2 for under $400/night, and the price really dropped when I ended up rebooking as a single in an oceanview (I can swim alone naked in my own pool at home so I didn't need that additional luxury for myself). As long as the room is nice, everything else would have to be very miserable for me to be disappointed.

My main worry is the food, since I like to eat well when I've been diving all day. I figure the food has to be better than the Occidental Grand's, where I stayed last time. Even the Royal Club restaurant at the Occidental was hit or miss, more often miss. I paid $170/night there for no ocean view and the room was rather shabby. The big question in my mind is whether Secrets will be worth the extra $60, but even a nicer room with ocean view can justify that kind of increase without improvement on the food quality. Unfortunately I'm bringing work with me that will require at least an hour or two per day online, plus time for downloading and editing my photos, so I will be stuck in my room for a certain amount of time per day. Therefore, room quality does mean a lot to me on this trip. Working with a view of the Caribbean is always better than working without one. But my biggest hope is that the food blows away the Occidental's. That would really make me happy.

What is sad is I paid 450 per night for the pool suit, because my non diver wife wanted it. She used it once, for 3 minutes. Spent all her time on the beach. So I wasted a thousand bucks on a private "wash tank" for my dive gear.
I would not worry to much about the food though, One day the steak is really good the next it is just ok. Nothing was actually bad. And you have access to all the restaurants on the Sabor side as well. Not that good, fairly loud, but something different.

I was the same with my non-diver GF. Originally I booked a swim-up room, but she liked the idea of the rooftop pool even though the stairs looked scary to me. I've slipped on many a Mexican marble hotel floor before and that was painful enough. Slipping down those stairs, sans railing, would really hurt. Fortunately we broke up and I was able to re-book a preferred club oceanview room for myself at a much better price :)

Food sounds like how it was at the Occidental. I enjoyed my steak at their "mexican steakhouse" so much that I booked it for a repeat night, ordered the exact same steak, and it was disappointing. At least Secrets has room service. If I go hungry at their restaurants, I can always order more in the room.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom