Any tips for bad hips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smootie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a congenital condition where my hip joints are very stiff and weak. I've been told by my orthopedic surgeon to avoid high impact exercise (no jogging/running). I can walk with my rig on (with an AL63 tank) ok, and of course once I get into the water I am weightless which is one of the reasons I got into scuba in the first place.

I'd like to keep my hip joints as healthy as possible for as long as possible. Do you have any tips about how to reduce the impact of weight on my body, or tips for bad joints in general?

OK, not a doctor or orthopest. IMHO But if you are seeking to avoid pressure or impact to your hips it seems to me that putting on 70 pounds of gear and walking is not in order.

What we do for individuals with bad backs or hips is as follows:
Boat dive: have someone carry your gear to the boat. You enter the water and gear up (Fins, BCD, Weights last) in the water and de-gear in the water (remove weights first, then BCD and fins last)
Beach dive: Have someone carry your gear or use a dolly to get it down to the beach. You enter the water with fins, mask and snorkel and your dive buddy enters wearing your SCUBA gear. You don gear just past the surf line and float while your buddy goes back and gets their gear. Reverse proceedure to exit. I have been known to enter the water wearin two sets of gear, mine normally, my dive buddies in front of me worn backwards to make a float I lay on.

This allows you to SCUBA dive off a boat or beach and not add any weight or pressure to your hips. They also sell a dolly you can use to wheel your gear out into the water and then just put it on, dolly and all.

Thanks for the advice. My doctor isn't a diver, so he didn't have any helpful suggestions.

Can you tell me what the dolly is called? I have been looking for scuba carts in general and haven't been able to find much.

My wife is arthritic in her hips. She is now diving in split fins which seem to reduce the effort on her hips whilst diving.

I have a little waggon that I pull to take everything down to the beach. I prep the gear and then use a bike lock to lock up the little wagon. Makes it far easier on my shoulder.

If kicking gives you a hard time you can get one of the cool scooters to pull you around under water. More expensive but nicer on the legs for long swims.

Force fins are the most easy fins to use. They have eliminated my leg cramps. They have very little resistance on the upstroke. They are very lightweight and simple.

I have a congenital condition where my hip joints are very stiff and weak. I've been told by my orthopedic surgeon to avoid high impact exercise (no jogging/running). I can walk with my rig on (with an AL63 tank) ok, and of course once I get into the water I am weightless which is one of the reasons I got into scuba in the first place.

I'd like to keep my hip joints as healthy as possible for as long as possible. Do you have any tips about how to reduce the impact of weight on my body, or tips for bad joints in general?

Scuba is a good choice! I developed hip issues in recent years due to a birth condition with my ankles (been wearing orthodics for almost 35 years) and too much sitting/too little exercise recently. I found that after my dive trips my pain in my hips has recessed to almost being unnoticable so hopefully that will help you out too.

Take glucosamine and fish oil, works for me. Also second the split fins... swimming is also very low impact and a great exercise for cardio.

You may also consider sidemount diving as it allows you to walk with your tanks until you are in the water

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom