Any UK Light Cannon floods?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, Otter.

I use 6000 MaH batteries in both of my LCs, and both have worked flawlessy for a good 100 dives now.

They'll be getting a LOT less use, however, now that I have a 21w Salvo can light. :wink:

Alo100, thanks for the tip. So far so good for me, though.

I'm going to tell my buddy he has nothing to worry about, beyond normal care.

CompuDude:
Thanks, Otter.

I use 6000 MaH batteries in both of my LCs, and both have worked flawlessy for a good 100 dives now.

They'll be getting a LOT less use, however, now that I have a 21w Salvo can light. :wink:

Alo100, thanks for the tip. So far so good for me, though.

I'm going to tell my buddy he has nothing to worry about, beyond normal care.

Wow, mine were only 4500 mA so maybe it just coincidence.....given that alkaline's last me about 2 dives (or 3 hours), I'd rather be recharging that creating more recycling issues.

Otter:
Wow, mine were only 4500 mA so maybe it just coincidence.....given that alkaline's last me about 2 dives (or 3 hours), I'd rather be recharging that creating more recycling issues.
I got nearly 4 hours out of a freshly charged set. (Actually my buddy did... which is why he wants to buy one now!) My buddy used it and had it on pretty much the whole time, (as did I with my 21w Salvo), and they both conked out towards the end of the 4th hour-long dive. The good news is now I know what to expect. The bad news is I'm going to need to figure out some way to handle a 5th dive (usually a night dive!). LOL

Only thing I find is you need to change the O-ring yearly or else they can become depressed and make it A real B#@$H to open them . anyone else have this problem ?
I know I am not overtightening it because I know how hard they can be to unscrew...

yea, both of mine are tough to open, I use a oil filter wrench on them. Seems to work fine for the 100+ dives they've been through.

Take care,
John

I've got a very old one that has never flooded (and I'm not that careful about how tight I screw it on either). Got it back when they had metal reflectors. I forget how old it actually is.

Only had one problem with it. After several years of use and abuse it started turning off after a few minutes of operation. I thought it might be some problem with the heat protection circuit, but when I sent it back to UK for service they said it was the bulb socket. When I got it back from service I noticed the bulb was a lot tighter than it was before. It always seemed a little loose to me. The bulb actually fell out of the socket a couple of times when it had been dropped (although it always worked when plugged back in; which makes me wonder about the stories I've heard about the fragile bulb breaking easily). Anyway, with the new socket the bulb fits nice and tight now, so I think the loose socket was a defect from when the light was new, and it still didn't cause a problem for several years.

I run mine off of 2000 or 2300mA AA batteries. I used PVC and duct tape to make battery adapters for the AA cells and it works fine. For the hour to hour and a half I usually use the light the AA cells have enough capacity. An added benefit is less weight. With the AA cells the LC is almost neutral in salt water.

I've been very happy with my LC. When I first got it I had read lots about how fragile it was and treated it like it was filled with Nitroglycerin. Inevitably the drops and bumps happened, and as it survived each one I started to get less concerned, and less careful about how I handled it. Now I just treat it like a dive light and it is still serving me well.

Aloha, Tim

Happy with my Light Cannon as well... no floods, and it's been on about 40 dives.

Just treat it with the same care you treat any piece of dive gear that uses an o-ring seal.

UK lights are great, imho.

-B.

illumiGeek:
I've got a very old one that has never flooded (and I'm not that careful about how tight I screw it on either). Got it back when they had metal reflectors. I forget how old it actually is.

Only had one problem with it. After several years of use and abuse it started turning off after a few minutes of operation. I thought it might be some problem with the heat protection circuit, but when I sent it back to UK for service they said it was the bulb socket. When I got it back from service I noticed the bulb was a lot tighter than it was before. It always seemed a little loose to me. The bulb actually fell out of the socket a couple of times when it had been dropped (although it always worked when plugged back in; which makes me wonder about the stories I've heard about the fragile bulb breaking easily). Anyway, with the new socket the bulb fits nice and tight now, so I think the loose socket was a defect from when the light was new, and it still didn't cause a problem for several years.

I run mine off of 2000 or 2300mA AA batteries. I used PVC and duct tape to make battery adapters for the AA cells and it works fine. For the hour to hour and a half I usually use the light the AA cells have enough capacity. An added benefit is less weight. With the AA cells the LC is almost neutral in salt water.

I've been very happy with my LC. When I first got it I had read lots about how fragile it was and treated it like it was filled with Nitroglycerin. Inevitably the drops and bumps happened, and as it survived each one I started to get less concerned, and less careful about how I handled it. Now I just treat it like a dive light and it is still serving me well.

Aloha, Tim

Nice to know about the socket issue, thanks Tim!
Some people were discussing about these...

Well, my buddy's light cannon came last night and seems great right out the box (plus he has one of the new brighter ones, very nice!). Hopefully no floods in his future, but it sounds like the odds are in his favor. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom