Anybody been to Bangladesh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paladin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm going with my crew to film a documentary in Bangladesh in March and I want to try to get in some diving if I can get away from the shoot for a day. Has anybody been there? What can you tell me about it?

Leave the leather and iron rig at home.

The only coral formations in Bangladesh are off of St Martin's Island.

From the googles:

Oceanic Scuba Dive Center, ☎ +880 2 955 9751 (divebangladesh@yahoo.com), This is the only dive operation in the country, and is run by a friendly group of ex-navy divers. At the moment they only visit one site at the southeast of the island (off Chera Dwip), which is unspectacular but still makes for a nice boat ride and the most activity you could hope for during your stay on the island. They're working towards buying a 'German' boat which will allow them to explore sites further out to sea, which may yield some better diving and more sea life. Prices are a little high (and negotiable), but consider that you're contributing to these guys' livelihood and towards expanding the opportunity for future diving. They've also got one bamboo guest hut with two beds if you're diving with them, and they'll cook all your meals for you — an alternative to the lackluster budget accommodation on the island. Food and lodging are by donation. On a safety note, this is nothing like a PADI certified dive center, and beginners should take care, especially alone — a guide/buddy is not included (though there's a good chance one of the guys will still come down with you). Tk 2000/dive, Tk 500 snorkel gear rental, Tk 600-800 boat fee.

Thanks, RM. If I get a chance, I'll check them out.

Did you end up going? I'm moving to Bangladesh in a month, and hoping to find some nearby diving spots.

I'm going with my crew to film a documentary in Bangladesh in March and I want to try to get in some diving if I can get away from the shoot for a day. Has anybody been there? What can you tell me about it?

Diving in coastal areas in Bangladesh is a part of tourism activities and is taken care of Bangladesh Government. Hotels at St. Martin Island arrange diving facilities in winter. St Martins Island is about 14 km off Bangladesh's southernmost town of Teknaf and is the country's only coral island. Visit Scuba in Bangladesh for information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom