Anybody been to Salt Cay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I ate at one of those restaurants on Salt Cay, can't remember the name right now - but the owner was a REAL character and we had a great time. The food was decent as well.

We are a group of 10 that will be going to Salt Cay during mid-February 06. That's prime whale watching season there. They say you can hear the whales while underwater. We will be diving with Salt Cay Divers and staying at their property, the Tradewinds. Debbie at Salt Cay Divers has been very easy to work with. We made our inter-island flight arrangements the other day for travel from Provo to Salt Cay and back so here's the scoop about baggage and cost when I made those reservations for our group. Hope this helps. Sandra

"Round trip airfare per adult is $165. Breakdown is as follows: Provo/Salt Cay/Provo-$155 and $10 FIC Charge. Space is extremely limited on our planes. The more passengers we carry the less room for baggage. We allow 40 pounds free per person, and will charge excess baggage fees for every pound over the limit. (See rates below). We strongly recommend that you pack one small bag containing essentials. The other, larger bag(s) may have to follow you on the next available flight. We don't like to separate passengers from their bags, but if it becomes necessary we like to advise travelers in advance so you can plan and pack accordingly. If you are bringing any perishables, please pack them in your carry-on or in a cooler packed with ice or gel packs and taped shut. If you wish, you may color code your luggage with red and green ribbons; red for first priority; green for luggage that can wait for the next flight if necessary.

Excess baggage rates: domestic flights, except Salt Cay 40cents/lb. Salt Cay 50cents/lb. All Salt Cay bags are charged on a round trip basis upon check-in unless you are only purchasing a one-way ticket, in which case we charge 40 cents per pound.

Baggage for round trip charters will be charged on a round trip basis upon check-in for the outbound flight.

Patrina Moore Ross
Reservations Department
Air Turks & Caicos (2003) Ltd
Tel: (649) 946 4999
Fax:(649) 946 4040"

We were in Grand Turk last October and had a really wonderful trip there. We took a day trip over to Salt Cay and it was certainly worth the look-see, but I would never stay there as a destination. It's absolutely tiny........I think there may be 50-60 people who actually live on the island. The island itself is dilapidated and sad, the reefs are nice (same as Grand Turk) and there are a few buildings of historical significance, all of which can be seen on a day trip. The boat ride over to Salt Cay can be arranged by Oasis Divers and takes about 45 minutes to get there, weather permitting. Ask for "Tim" at Oasis Divers if he's available and is willing to take you. His family is actually one of the settler families on Salt Cay and he can give a particularly unique and interesting perspective. We ate lunch at "Pat's Place" and had one of the most outstanding meals around......the best cracked conch EVER!! Grand Turk is itself a quiet, laid-back place and was really such a lovely dive destination with the great reefs just minutes off the beach, mom&pop kinds of places to stay with good food and friendly people. I'd only recommend the visit to Salt Cay using Grand Turk as a base, but never recommend that anyone actually stay there. Sorry, just being honest.

Thanks for the input about Salt Cay. I really appreciate your honesty about the place. We are looking forward to the peace and quiet. We are taking our entertainment/friends with us so quiet will be fine. It doesn't sound like a destination to go alone for sure.

Thanks again for the tip.

Sandra

I lived on Greater Inagua in the early 50,s as a 10-13 yr old boy. The best time of my life!!

I visited it last June. It hasn't changed much. we dove Hogsty reef on that trip. Fantastic Wall dive. Need to go back!!!

Did you go to Salt Cay? What was it like? We are booked for the last week in Feb. I'll give a report when we get back. We are also thinking of buying a place there or on Greater Inagua in the Bahamas. Need to get back there (Inagua) There is no dive facillity on Inagua and as far as know, no place to fill, let alone rent tanks. I asked around on our June visit

Reeldive: We will be on Salt Cay for a week beginning 2/8. I'll let you know how it goes. We are diving with Salt Cay Divers and staying at the Tradewinds.

Sandra

Thanks Sandera, Looking forward to your report. we're booked at the Tradewinds as well. If you see a place with a sign over the door "The Twilight Zone" take some pic's for me will ya! We are planning to look at it. Post Pic,s please.

We returned yesterday from Salt Cay. We stayed at the Tradewinds and dove with Salt Cay Divers. Our DM was Matt and we really liked him. He is very friendly and allows you to do your own thing within reason. Tell him we said "hi." He shot a short video of us diving and his wife, Abby, cooks in the Salt Cay Divers Restaurant, added music, titles, etc. Cost $50.

The Tradewinds are 5 bungalows all strung together, separated by rock walls. each bungalow has their own screened in porch and AC was not needed. The rooms are nicely decorated and each has slightly different appointments. We had the StingRay bungalow and it had a full kitchen, microwave, oven and nice seating area.

The weather was not very cooperative. The seas became very rough and a few dives were delayed or cancelled. The water temp ranged from 72 to 76.

We took our own fun. There were 10 of us on the trip - 6 divers, 4 non-divers. Everyone had a great time.

Food on the Island is expensive except at the dive shop or Green Flash. We ate at Pat's place and a few others. Food was good but $40 pp for dinner is a bit much. Food at the dive shop was fine.

One of the things you will need to do if you plan to eat somewhere other than in your cottage is to let them know you will be having meals with them and what you intend to order. All this is in advance, so they can shop and prepare meals. Most of the places to eat are in people's homes.

The diving was very nice. The walls are beautiful and the tops of the reefs full of life. The walls rival Bunaken Marine Park in Indonesia but seemed even steeper. We saw turtles on nearly every dive and a few sharks. The usual reef subjects were in abundance. The diving was easy and mostly deep.

We were fortunate that the weather cleared a few days and the seas calmed so we were able to spend a morning diving at Grand Turk. We dove the sites Tunnels and Coral Gardens. Both were a nice change from wall diving. We were not able to get out to the wreck but maybe next time. Please email me if you have specific questions. I'll do a formal trip report later with pictures.

Save diving and have fun.

Sandra

Back
Top Bottom