Anybody else encounter tech arrogance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some people like to drink the Kool aid. I sure there are many AoW diver who try to lord it over "mere" OW divers.

And sure there are people who like to dress in the gear and use military SF terms to describe a dive. Then there are others who are welcoming and non judgemental offering advice only when requested or truely needed

I consider Tec anything below 50m, my old agency teaches deco as part of their tier 2 course (Tier 1 being OW & AoW equivalent) Because I'm not Trix mix qualified for dive below 50m I don't consider myself a Tec diver.

When I first got back into diving I joined a BSAC club for the social aspect. I was surrounded by the "old hands" who were either closing in on or had well past 1000 dives. A nicer group of divers you couldnt' expect to meet. They patiently mentored me and encouraged me to gain dive experience (from my then lofty 21 dives) - taught me in great detail over beers advanced (to me) dive theory and buddied me putting up with my crap trim and gas consumption.

In life you soon figure out who's worth listening to and who to ignore. Divers can be the same

@Diving Dubai , I have long admired BSAC for, as I understand their philosophy, not so rigidly dividing divers into rec and tec tribes. It isn't as though in the real world there is some physical dividing line, and there is a particular day on which one becomes a tech diver. Rather, it's a continuum, and there are clubmates doing dives all along it, with those who have more experience and perhaps more training providing mentoring and encouragement to those with less. Good things are not likely to come from someone truly believing "today I became a tech diver." Humility, yes.

I admire your patience in going as far as you did with this a-hole. I wouldn't have taken 1% of what you related that he did and said to you.

Are technical divers arrogant and condescending? MANY of them are that for sure but not all and certainly not like this guy you had the "good" fortune to dive with. I hear "technical" divers who badmouth diving shallow or diving on a reef and not on a "deep wreck" most of the time I am diving with "tech." divers. I also know techies who simply won't go on a charter if it isn't going to sites where they will need to make deco. dives and having to use He. It gets to the point it is just a pain to sit or interact with these guys who are acting as if they are curing cancer after they have cured Ebola when they were building a space ship to travel to the next galaxy. The comments I hear from them about "fish watchers" are enough.

Last edited:
Tech training is terrific. Not because it makes you in to a super diver who can look down on mere recreational divers. Not because you learn specific techniques and skills. It's because it changes your attitude towards diving, it helps you become more of a thinking diver. The most important part of the training is the mindset, learning how to learn, and respect for the sport. Sounds like your buddy missed that day in tech class....

You don't need tech training to be a thinking diver...you just need to think. One can be pensive about diving at any level of ability or certification. The mindset of a diver is a personal choice. Tech training does not magically make someone a "thinking diver". I would go so far as to say that if you find a tech diver that is a "thinking diver" it was that attitude and mentality towards diving that fostered their desire and choice to take on the challenge of increasing their knowledge and training in the first the place.

-Z

I stopped reading a few lines into your initial comment. I woulda put my sunglasses on, sat back and said no thanks, I'm sitting this one out - even if it was the last dive of my life. I go under water to peace out and enjoy the scenery, water washes the BS away.

What a jerk.

There's a reason he was by himself and didn't have his own partner. No one likes him!

It's weird, most people I meet around diving environments (gearing up for shore dives, talking to other boaters when tethered to a dive site, on dive charters, etc) are super friendly and ecstatic about everything. Honestly some of the friendliest people I've ever met. And how can't you be? You just finished or are about to do one of the most fun hobbies ever!

I've always hated the distinction people have about rec and tech divers. In an OW class one evening a student, while going over pressure, ata and dive tables said they just wanted to go under water and see things, not learn "all of this technical stuff". So even the basic stuff is technical at some level to someone.

One thing taught in technical diving is the concept of a "team". Some people don't quite get the meaning of "team". Its a bit more than just having other divers diving with you. A team ideally would work effectively and cohesively.

Can't speak for other agencies, but in TDI world, there is the concept of the disadvantaged diver and also who in the team should be the leader (its the disadvantaged diver). In the other diver's eyes, if you were "the disadvantaged diver", you should be the leader, and the guy that is the jerk should not be barking orders to you. It sounds like he has was not following his training and is just a pain in the butt of a person.

If that diver was a jerk to you about diving, he would probably be a jerk in other sports or aspects of his life. Avoid diving with him.

The guy's simply an unpleasant human being. You met him as a tech diver so he's a reflection on tech divers. If we knew his agency, he would be a reflection on that agency. If he travels abroad, he will be a reflection on Americans. If a UFO abducts him for a probe, he will be a reflection on the human race.

Back
Top Bottom