Anybody Ever Driven from Cozumel to Belize? (+)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JenLoves2Dive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Yes, I know, you have to take the car ferry. :D

I have been entertaining the idea of traveling down to Belize with a small group of people to dive there. Obviously on a map it looks do-able and I have talked to several people on the island who have gone there to dive.

I have been to Ambergris Caye, but I flew there from the states.

I would love to hear from anyone who has actually traveled there by car. What route did you take. Where did you stay. Where did you dive, etc.

Thanks! I'll post this in the Belize thread too, but i think I might get more hits here.

Do you own a car on the island? If not, the only rental agencies that I know to allow a customer to take a car out of Mexico are in Cancun.

The good diving is from the offshore islands -- accessible by air from Belize City, by ferry and private boats. Best to drive to Chetumal -- or take the bus to the Free Zone and transfer to Corozal. Private transit operators can get you where you want to go but they're not necessary. Another option is to drive to Xcalak and go by boat to San Pedro, which has immigration & customs offices.

Yes, I know, you have to take the car ferry. :D

I have been entertaining the idea of traveling down to Belize with a small group of people to dive there. Obviously on a map it looks do-able and I have talked to several people on the island who have gone there to dive.

I have been to Ambergris Caye, but I flew there from the states.

I would love to hear from anyone who has actually traveled there by car. What route did you take. Where did you stay. Where did you dive, etc.

Thanks! I'll post this in the Belize thread too, but i think I might get more hits here.

Check on cozumelmycozumel website. There are three guys making the drive through Belize now and are posting pictures of their travels. I would read the posts and send them your questions.

Jen- We just drove to Belize from Cozumel in November. We stopped at several places along the way. But, in essence it's about a six hour drive (not including the ferry) to Belize City. Pretty easy to do, but there are some things to know about crossing in to Belize. I don't have a lot of time right now, but, if you contact the wife, she'll give you the lowdown. Fun trip, but the weather was to bad to take the trip by boat to the Blue Hole and other offshore spots. We stayed on San Pedro and dove the barrier reef instead. We had a blast, but I think next time we go to San Pedro, we're taking a flight directly from Cancun to San Pedro.:D

Back
Top Bottom