Anybody feel like giving a rundown of back inflate BCDs to a SCUBA noob?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A 5' hose works quite well, so long as you are not very broad across the shoulders, or very deep in the torso. The backup reg can be left on the 24" hose that comes with a standard setup, although a 22" hose makes things a little neater.

Is that based on still having the hose wrapped around the body and behind the head?

What's the sentiment on the 40" primary hose, as recommended by DGX in the Streamlined OW configuration? As described here:

https://www.divegearexpress.com/regulators/diveritereg.shtml

Also, what is the "standard" length of the LP hose for an octo, in a "standard" Rec setup?

DIR/GUE doesn't allow angle adapters of any kind, extra failure point, so while many of us have been using that regulator configuration for singles or even open water doubles for well over a decade, the GUE guys choose to either use a "standard" 32" hose and let it bow out, a 5' hose, or a 7' hose.

Is that based on still having the hose wrapped around the body and behind the head?

What's the sentiment on the 40" primary hose, as recommended by DGX in the Streamlined OW configuration? As described here:

https://www.divegearexpress.com/regulators/diveritereg.shtml

Also, what is the "standard" length of the LP hose for an octo, in a "standard" Rec setup?
I think the idea with the 40" DGX primary hose is to be used in conjunction with a swivel at the reg in order to have the hose then routed under your right arm instead of over your shoulder.

DIR/GUE doesn't allow angle adapters of any kind, extra failure point, so while many of us have been using that regulator configuration for singles or even open water doubles for well over a decade, the GUE guys choose to either use a "standard" 32" hose and let it bow out, a 5' hose, or a 7' hose.

So, 32" is the "standard" length for a Rec octo hose?

I think the idea with the 40" DGX primary hose is to be used in conjunction with a swivel at the reg in order to have the hose then routed under your right arm instead of over your shoulder.

Right, I understand that. I'm just wondering if any of y'all feel like the 40" primary is good or bad? Better or worse than 5' or 7' (for Rec diving)?

Also, while I'm thinking about it, I was wondering, if you install a 70 or 90 degree angle connector on a 2nd stage, do you have to do anything special to get it indexed correctly (i.e. so the angle points straight down)? Do you use Teflon tape on the threads or anything?

So, 32" is the "standard" length for a Rec octo hose?

Right, I understand that. I'm just wondering if any of y'all feel like the 40" primary is good or bad? Better or worse than 5' or 7' (for Rec diving)?

Also, while I'm thinking about it, I was wondering, if you install a 70 or 90 degree angle connector on a 2nd stage, do you have to do anything special to get it indexed correctly (i.e. so the angle points straight down)? Do you use Teflon tape on the threads or anything?
I personally prefer the 5 ft hose with my secondary on a 22" hose and necklace. You don't use Teflon tape on any connections as the O rings do the sealing. As for angle adapters they swivel at both ends so orientation really isn't an issue...however because of the same swivel, keeping the hose and reg straight can be an issue. I tried an angle adapter this summer on my necklace secondary and will not be using it again because of it twisting too easily.

I personally prefer the 5 ft hose with my secondary on a 22" hose and necklace. You don't use Teflon tape on any connections as the O rings do the sealing. As for angle adapters they swivel at both ends so orientation really isn't an issue...however because of the same swivel, keeping the hose and reg straight can be an issue. I tried an angle adapter this summer on my necklace secondary and will not be using it again because of it twisting too easily.

Yeah, I wouldn't use one on an alternate. But, definitely seems almost necessary for a reg on a 40" hose.

And I thought I had seen some fixed angle adapters - i.e. 70 or 90 degrees with no swivel. But, maybe I was just assuming that there was no swivel...

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2015 at 03:31 PM ----------

And I thought I had seen some fixed angle adapters - i.e. 70 or 90 degrees with no swivel. But, maybe I was just assuming that there was no swivel...

Never mind on this. I see now that there ARE fixed angle adapters, but looking closely at a picture, I see that the way they work makes my question moot.

Jon, teflon isn't for sealing on threads, it's to basically lubricate while they're being tightened. Typically used for brass or especially SS where they will burr or on NPT threads where they are tapered.

Stuart, the angle adapters swivel, identical to the connection on the hose.

I use them on bungeed octo's to allow me to use a shorter hose and it keeps it from bowing which I don't like. Not an issue in use but they can flop around a bit during setup. I keep a bolt snap on the regulator side of the adapters so I can clip everything off. I use 90*'s and ball swivels.

I prefer the 40" hose to 5' for open water diving. I think 5' hoses are pretty useless personally. I'm a tall diver, so if I'm diving with someone with a 5' hose we can't go single file, 7' hoses are actually pushing it for comfort. the 40" with an angle adapter allows you to dive next to each other, little cozy, but it works if you have to move around. 5' hose allows you a bit more wiggle room next to each other, but still can't go single file which is why a 7' minimum is required for overhead environments.

Some people who don't know how to think will suggest using a 5' hose for short divers because the 7' is too long, but this is directly analogous to divers with low SAC rates using smaller tanks because they use less air, real bad idea. Yes I have seen this justification in overhead environments.... If you don't like tucking the hose into your waist band, and aren't diving with a canister, Deep Sea Supply makes a super cheap *$15* canister blank for holding the long hose down, or you can use a knife on that side for the same thing. Moral of story is that unless you have an aversion to using the angle adapters, or are taking GUE training, the 40" hose on an angle adapter has been used for well over a decade by many technical divers in openwater environments with great success.

Jon, teflon isn't for sealing on threads, it's to basically lubricate while they're being tightened. Typically used for brass or especially SS where they will burr or on NPT threads where they are tapered.

Thanks Tbone, not to belabor the subject, but I would think that Teflon "Tape" specifically would be a bad idea from the stand point that Teflon fibers can break off and go though the valves of the regs and cause malfunction. If you were to use a Teflon compound that might alleviate the fiber issue but then if you depend on being O2 clean, most Teflon compounds will not work in that instance correct?

what Jim said, no teflon needed anywhere near the regulators. There are special lubricants used for regulators, but you don't need to lube any hose fittings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom