Anybody have this happen before?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then if it was over-torqued, but it shows no deformation in the hex or the threads, it was used in fresh water, there was some fatal flaw induced in the cap-screw during manufacture.

Seeing no deformation of the bearing surfaces denotes that it couldn't have been over tightened to any real degree- that would be a tell tale sign. So much pressure would have to be applied by screwing the threads all the way to the bottom of the 1st stage that the cap would need to have been "lifted" off of the screws- you would see o-ring deformation if not outright failure by it being squeezed out.

I think Nadwiny has this one dead on. Replace all the plugs.

That said, I have profoundly abused my DiveRite gear just as I have every other BC, Reg Set and Computer that I am currently (and in the past) using, with nary a bump.

(For a sense of historical data on any known failures, you might want to find a guy named Bo Harper on this one)

Then if it was over-torqued, but it shows no deformation in the hex or the threads, it was used in fresh water, there was some fatal flaw induced in the cap-screw during manufacture.

Seeing no deformation of the bearing surfaces denotes that it couldn't have been over tightened to any real degree- that would be a tell tale sign. So much pressure would have to be applied by screwing the threads all the way to the bottom of the 1st stage that the cap would need to have been "lifted" off of the screws- you would see o-ring deformation if not outright failure by it being squeezed out.

I think Nadwiny has this one dead on. Replace all the plugs.

That said, I have profoundly abused my DiveRite gear just as I have every other BC, Reg Set and Computer that I am currently (and in the past) using, with nary a bump.

(For a sense of historical data on any known failures, you might want to find a guy named Bo Harper on this one)

There is very little metal between the O ring grove and the socket for the hex wrench and that is the weak part of the plug.
What bearing surface are you referring to that would show deformation?
How would the O ring be squeezed out when it is completely surrounded by metal to metal contact in the threads and the plug cap against the regulator body, there is no place for it to go.
The top of the plug getting lifted off the threaded portion is exactly what looks like happened, either because of one or several incidences of over torquing or a manufacturing flaw.

had the same thing happen last fall, on same type/brand of 1st stage. Mine showed a a bit of rust and sheered ofthe part that holds the O ring in place but the stud was fine. Just replaced with new and no problems since. I dive mine years round Cold water (like now 39 and in the summer in the 70's). Port had not been touched since annual service several months earlier and I dont overfil my HP tanks. Would have sucked if it had happened on a dive, but tanksfully did not.

I unscrewed my DR Jetstream when I first got it. Everything looked OK. I will double check mine. It looks more like a manufacturing defect to me. SCARY!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom