Anybody Here Take Supplements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Psychicanimal:
<snip>

I buy distilled water by the case and my urine profile is, in my doctor's words, impeccable. I figure distilled water has a lot to do with this--my diet sucks.

Sounds like you must be taking some mineral supplemets . Distilled water, and more recently the widespread use of water purified by reverse osmosis (all fall under deionized water) is 'hungry' water and can leach minerals as it has no buffer due to it's high purity. So long as the overall balance means the mineral intake level is enough to supply other needs plus the buffer level in the water, no big deal. Places like the Netherlands Antilles and the Caymans where the public water is prodiced this way haven't been hotbeds of mineral deficiencies in the population AFAIK (no travel advisories, but I expect the effects would only show up on more long term exposure and use).

Making and maintaining piping, pumping, and so on water distribution systems for 'hungry' water is the first challenge. Once it finds a source of solute, it can attack pretty aggressively. If that's all well protected, the consumer is the next source. One more good reason to take supplements in my opinion.

I rarely drink the tap water from this end of the Mississippi. Supplements and RO water are A-OK in my book.

There is a misunderstanding about 'leaching' of minerals from the body. Cells use active transport as a main mean of feeding nutrients and diffusion acounts for only 4 to 6 percent. If you take a look at modern vitamin supplements you'll notice the use of amino acid and/or sugar chelated minerals.

Neither distilled nor RO water is considered deionized ( demineralized, ultrapure ). Purer water tends to become acidic due to the fact that dissoved metals easily become electron donors ( a Lewis acid, if I'm not mistaken). It all depends what one eats along with the water. I think buying distilled water is trhe ticket. If anyone's concerned, it can always be diluted...:rofl3:

Hmmm - try running distilled or RO water in a plain jane metal piping system for a bit and see what happens. Or soak your first stage in it for an extended period. It is the lack of ions in solution that makes this water more -pure- . For RO permeate or distilled water, either of which can be produced from sea water, is quite well deionized. The ions such as sodium, chlorine (i.e. salt) bromine, etc. do not 'boil' and transport with the steam generated, which is then condensed in the case of distilled water. For RO, a concentrated brine reject stream is generated along with the 'purer' permeate water - usually 3 to 4 volumes reject per volume permeate for simple single stage systems that are typically available for household faucet use, but I've seen up to 3 volumes permeate per volume brine reject ratios in industrial two stage systems. Even those systems caution the user about metal fittings in the permeate system, and stress plastic fittings and tubing. The reject uses plastic fittings for the other side of the spectrum - more concentrated salts for reaction with metal causing corrosion from that mechanism.

If you don't rinse your scuba equipment, the salt crust is quite literally the ions which were in the water no longer being in solution due to evaporation of the water they were dissolved in. The vaporization temperature of sodium chloride is quite a bit higher than the boiling point of water.

Water that is merely 'softened', is not deionized, but has ion exchange performed on it, replacing calcium and magnesium salts typically with sodium salts - like sodium chloride.

A friend of mine in the medical profession has mentioned dental cases of folks who drank only distilled water. Supplements are not unwise in this case.

I use Proformance Hydration 02 at least 3 times per day and even more on my dive days! It is such a unique product I count my lucky stars that I found it! It provides 70 trace minerals (electrolytes) and becomes ionic in water allowing them to be absorbed quickly and easily by my body. I feel much more energetic as it increases the oxygen levels in my body! It's simply fabulous.

Janice
http://www.optin2succeed.com/dreamteam-e

wow...interesting.

I always heard distilled water was not good because it drew minerals from your body.

Oxygenated water? Not sure I understand the chemistry of how that would work.

It's not Ozone is it? My pool is oxone purified and I hope I am not picking up free radicals in there. :11:

I just read in an article from the newspaper saying that tap water is more healthier then bottled water? Because of this statement, my chemistry teacher is going to have an experiment of that claim next week. At least he didn't blew my scuba tank when he was using that as an example for the gas law formula. Anyways, back to the thread, I haven't been using the supplements for about 1 week and during that week, I was too weak, guess its back to centrum and fish oil. Not to mention I need the strength if I am to survive my 50th dive this Saturday which will make it my 50th dive since I got certified, and then its off to conquer Hawaii, Fiji, and finally Vietnam!

Hey. I've been taking Juice Plus since fall of 2004 and strangely enough, that is the last time I was sick! It's vitamins made from fruits and vegetables. I didn't know if it would work or not but I used to get sick all the time and now I don't and that's proof enough for me.

Is anyone familiar with Kangen water? I have a friend that swears by it... Says the filter to create it costs around $4,000, and is "worth every penny..."

My sister sells Juice Plus, and I am seriously considering taking it. She gave me some samples that were OK. You really need to take the stuff for 60 days or so to see any benefit. I do like the Juice Plus Complete, not a supplement, but as a meal or as a post workout drink. I put it in the blender with some ice, milk, frozen blueberries and a scoop of JuicePlus Chocolate and a couple drops almond flavoring. Yum Yum!

I have also been taking something called EDTA. Seems it is the hot new supplement to take and it is hard to find anything else about it. After some research, I found it is the stuff used for lead posioning, and for clogged arteries. As much good as it seems to do in low doses, I am going off it for a couple months to see if there are other results. I partially credit it to not having gallbladder attacks since I started taking it in Feb. (no other major changes to diet), yet also am blaming it for possible low iron. Anybody every hear of EDTA? What is your experience with it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom