Anybody know of anybody trying sidemount and not liking it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I get to pick the tanks I need for the dive, instead of using what's manifolded, I just add regs. Versatile and easier on the body, other than that, no reason to dive SM....

I guess I'm odd for having multiple sets of doubles so I can pick the best tank for the dive? Also, I've conceded that if you need the "easier on the body" consideration, SM is likely for you.

Use back mount doubles (w/cut-off valves on the 2nd stages, OOOH the horror :O !!!) for cave diving....Gave side-mounts a try, several times....They have limited uses and no advantages that out weigh back mounts.......Try carrying/swimming w/stage and/or deco bottles w/side mounts....or getting into confined spaces and removing/donning a side mount set-up-vs-back mount.....And the main reason for me was loosing 1/2 your air if one of your 2nd stages goes bad [w/or w/o a cut off valve].....Try using side mount w/a scooter !!!!..... If you like them, use them.....For me the con's far out weighed the pro's......

Seriously? Look I have no problem with back mount. I was a DIR diver for many years. I just can not digest some of the stuff you are serving. Side mount with deco? Really? How is it a problem? Squeezing tight restrictions is easier in back mount because it is easier to remove a backplate and wings with double steels then maybe unclip a bottle and swing it forward? Really? How? Scootering with side mount is a problem? Again, really? How? Your gas theory is the only one that makes any kind of sense. However it would have to take a truly catastrophic failure to lose half your gas completely.

I understand back mount is great. I love it. Some places it is easier. However if you are standing on your arguments as to why it is better, you have no argument.

I guess I'm odd for having multiple sets of doubles so I can pick the best tank for the dive? Also, I've conceded that if you need the "easier on the body" consideration, SM is likely for you.

You're not odd go that, you're just odd. Lol.

Use back mount doubles (w/cut-off valves on the 2nd stages, OOOH the horror :O !!!) for cave diving....Gave side-mounts a try, several times....They have limited uses and no advantages that out weigh back mounts.......Try carrying/swimming w/stage and/or deco bottles w/side mounts....or getting into confined spaces and removing/donning a side mount set-up-vs-back mount.....And the main reason for me was loosing 1/2 your air if one of your 2nd stages goes bad [w/or w/o a cut off valve].....Try using side mount w/a scooter !!!!..... If you like them, use them.....For me the con's far out weighed the pro's......

Technical Sidemount dive on 4 cylinders configuration - YouTube

Are you saying getting into a confined space which requires doffing and donning gear is easier in BM than SM...?

I guess what I am trying to ask is, does anybody know of someone going back to backmount after trying sidemount diving?

I switch between them. I like the simplicity of back mount, but some dives that profile just won't fit.

I like to be proficient at both but it does take a few warm up dives to get back into the swing unless we are double duty diving.
I do have a friend who primarily dives off boats and deep wreck who prefers BM.
I have done both off boats and find it equal by most standards.
For most it offers a flexible not so physically taxing option if that is a non issue then it is only preference.

Some case specific environments make SM or NM at must you would not fit in BM.
I realize that most of these are BMable but some are simply not.
Yes some have tried and did not like it but some have tried other configurations and not liked them either.
I try to be open to new forms / techniques as long as they make sense and are not complete bunk.

CamG

Tried Sidemount without believing in its benefits at all. Was a complete skeptic when an opportunity to receive free instruction arose. Frankensteined my backmount rig so the gear cost 0. Now using sidemount on most dives.
Big advantage for me is that it makes it much more convenient to do deco dives without having to manage twins. I have 3 sets of twins but we use small boats here and bringing 2 sets for 2 dives takes A LOT of space.
I thought I was going to be ones of the ones not to like it and ended up being a convert!

Sidemount is great! I dove back mount for a bit but once I took one of edds classes I was much happier in sidemount. It's nice not to have to struggle to the water, and it's nice to be so streamlined. An edd modes sms100 is really nice. Instant trim. I didn't like having parts of my life support equipment where I couldnt see it. With a correctly setup sidemount rig all you do is move and arm and bam!! There's the valve,1st stage, 2nd stage connection,inflator hose and psi connection. All potential failure points. Correct me if Im wrong but the only way in sidemount to loose 1/2 of ure gas supply is a valve failure or burst disk rupture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom