Anybody know what this fish is?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cactusdiver1

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I am new to the board. First post. I recently returned from Fiji (Beqa Island) and while diving alone I saw this fish (?) and was able to snap one picture (last one on roll of course) .

This fish was about 4 1/2 feet long, probably a good 10-12 inches tall and not very wide. out of the 4 1/2 feet of length, it's nose looked to be about 1 1/2 feet long and was very rounded at the end. It did look "crocodilish" (is that a word?) on the nose portion. The body was almost "clear", not see through.

A book back on shore had a description of a "crocodile pipe fish" but a very lousy picture of one. The description seemed to match, but upon returning, an internet search showed other pictures of the "crocodile pipe fish that didn't look close to this one. Of course back on the boat and on shore I was the butt of all the jokes regarding my "mystery" fish. My reputation was that I get "narced" at 40 feet and see things. Good reason to go digital.

It was on a reef area, just lounging on the bottom at about 40 feet (+/-) depth. It wasn't real scared as it slowly swam away as I followed it (needed more film!).

Anyway, anybody help in identifying this for me? :confused:

Thanks

Aloha cactusdiver1,
Your fish appears to be a Cornetfish according to my Hoover Hawaii Fish Book. The range of the species is the Indo-Pacific and they can grow to 4 and 1/2 feet.
I can't see the mouth clear enough in the photo but if it was larger at the end of the snout it could also be a Trumpetfish, but they often have stripes or other coloring and are not as long as the Cornetfish so I'll put my money on the Cornetfish.
:shades:

I agree that it's a Coronet fish for another reason: the tail on a Coronet is long & tapered... almost whiplike in some cases (Paul Humann describes it as a having a "tail filament").

Not so on a trumpet fish, who has a more traditional "fish" tail.

Just my $.02s worth,

~SubMariner~

Unlikely to be a crocodile pipefish/crocodile longtom/hound needlefish as these are very silvery, much more likely to be just below the surface than at 40' & and have a distinctive keel-like tail. http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/PicturesSummary.cfm?StartRow=6&ID=977&what=species

It likely is a cornetfish.

The primary distinguishing feature between a cornetfish & a trumpetfish is not the mouth, length or coloration as there can be considerable overlap in these aspects/they can be difficult to distinguish without close observation. The tail is the give away.

The trumpetfish body ends in a distinct tail fin. http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/PicturesSummary.cfm?StartRow=4&ID=964&what=species

The cornetfish body has a tail fin, but that is followed by a long filament. http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/PicturesSummary.cfm?StartRow=2&ID=5444&what=species

Best wishes.

DocVikingo

I appreciate all the responses, and the pictures. The one thing I remember about this fish, and when I look at the picture, is that it didn't have any large or outstanding fins on the top, bottom or sides. It may have had a small side fin 4-6 inches behind the "head" area. It swam in an eel like manner, slowly.

Thanks again for all the input.

Here is the same picture magnified a little.

Okay, I lost the picture, here it is (I hope).

Here is one with the color inverted and magnified.

Thanks again.

Looks like the Blue Spotted Cornetfish we saw in Bonaire! Without the blue spots :)

First time we saw it, I thought...WHOA!!! Now there's a Trumpetfish on STEROIDS!! What a huge thing it was! Body was very thick in diameter too. Moved very slowly and gracefully, and I was able to position myself over it to judge its length...and it was as long as I was!!

During our surface interval we looked it up in what I call the 'Human Fish Book' (Paul Humann's book) and found the difference, as many of you have already pointed out, is the TAIL! It is pointed, with no distinct tail fin like a Trumpetfish has.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom