Question Trying to figure out what the tiny Oarfish I saw was (Okinawa Japan)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacDuyver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Sorry, I don't have a picture (this fish is now on my "must get" photo list).

I was diving in Okinawa today (late morning) and saw two fish I'd never seen before. i checked the Charumi Fish Encyclopedia but don't see it anywhere.

These fish were about 20ft deep on a reef at about off the west coast of Okinawa (Chibishi Islands, Okinawa, East China Sea).

They were small swam together, and both looked the same. about 3-4" long, 3/4-1" tall, and shaped like a tiny oarfish (less ribbony though). They were greenish gray from the head until the pectoral fin (about 1/4 body-length back from the head). At that point, it faded to a metallic red for the rest of its body. On top of its head, it had a relatively long yellow hook shaped fin like an oarfish, but it was a single ribbon-like fin (about 3/4" long) instead of an array.

Anyone have any idea what this fish was?

Digging around, I started thinking it had to be some kind of blenny.

Found a pic of the Firefish Goby (Magnificent Dartfish) and it's pretty close to spot on. The dorsal fin was a bit more of a bold yellow color, and the body was closer to a gray than white, but the rest of the fish fits the bill.

istockphoto-627298158-612x612.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom