Anybody used SnS 110a in TTL on an Olympus E-520

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Olympus E-520 does not ttl at anything less than full flash at least via fiber optic trigger. I have no battery life issues even after 3 dives on the camera, the camera battery seems to outlast the strobe battery in any case. My understanding of ttl use underwater is that it only functions well for macro shots as with wide angle you are lighting the foreground only with the strobe and expose the background with the ambient light. The strobe is only powerful enough to light objects 4-6 feet away. While I often leave my strobes in ttl mode when shooting wide angle the strobes are firing 100% most of the time so ttl is useless at that point.

Brian

hi Brian - the demands of lighting in WA is serious, it is a classic case where more is never enough. Even at full dump with a couple of SnS 300's It was a struggle. The only flash I had that had more 'go' in it was a locally made one that I used 25 years ago called a Seatite. It weighed a ton and was about 7-8" across the front lens. There was a very reassuring POP when it lit up the world. F32 @ max SS was just ok for a macro shot anything less would wash out the shot.

WIde angle with good lighting/composition is not easy. Macro is more fun/easy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom