Anyone been to Grand Cozumel Occidental?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shader

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I wiil be in Coz at the end May and was wondering if anyone has had anyexperience staying there and their thoughts on it.

I plan on going there in 2 weeks..maybe I'll be able to post in time, before you go. But other board members have been there, and will chime in soon.

I just booked the GrandeCozumel for this June. Please let me know about the on site dive shop . I really love Cozumel, was there last year staying at the Iberostar Cozumel. My wife and I had a blast. My only complaint about the Iberostar is no non-smoking areas where you can escape the smokers.

It also looks like you can tryout the Mares H.U.B. at both Occidentals. I'm curious to see how well they function and can use them free with shore diving. I will pull posting a full report on the Grand Cozumel facilities upon my return.

My wife and I just returned from a 5 night stay at the Occidental Grand. We liked everything about the place. Our 3rd floor room was spacious, had a nice balcony and was very clean. The bathroom was enormous and featured a great big walk in shower. Just so you know, a few bucks a day to the maid gets you all the extra water, coffee, towels and any other extra stuff you may want.

The food was as good as the stuff I cook for myself. But hey, I am no gourmet! The grounds are maintained well. The beach is narrow but adequate. And there are two pools to sit around. Let me also add that, if you are so inclined, the booze flows!

Another selling feature of the Grand is that you are so far south that your dive operator will pick you up last and drop you off first, I call it LIFO, which we also liked.

We used Blue XT SEA for all eight of our dives and also got our Nitrox certification from them. Hey, I can use all the oxygen I can get, if you catch my drift. We were very satisfied with their service. It is a first class operation. I assign them my highest rating and recommend them without qualification!

Unfortunately, the truth compels me to report that I cannot recall the names of any of the dive sights we visited; but not to worry! My wife advises that sometime this weekend when her ear stops hurting and her toe feels better she will post a detailed trip report.

Of course it goes without saying that my wife's reporting of our vacation experience will trump and supplant any opinions or descriptions of mine that conflict with hers. And so, I join the rest of you as we wait to find out if I had a good vacation or not!

Texas Diver:
My wife and I just returned from a 5 night stay at the Occidental Grand. We liked everything about the place. Our 3rd floor room was spacious, had a nice balcony and was very clean. The bathroom was enormous and featured a great big walk in shower. Just so you know, a few bucks a day to the maid gets you all the extra water, coffee, towels and any other extra stuff you may want.
Glad to hear you had such a good time, but I am compelled to ask, what kinds of showers are there other than the ones you walk into? ;^)

ggunn:
...but I am compelled to ask, what kinds of showers are there other than the ones you walk into? ;^)
Hi ggunn:

My basis for comparison is the shower in my home. To enter it I have to push the shower curtain to one side and step over the side of the tub. I call that my shower. Please understand my delight with a shower I could actually walk right into.

Be that as it may; let me tell you about the shower at the Occidental. It is sooooo big that, should they dare to attempt it, even a weight challenged couple could get in there and execute a full contact Lambata with room to spare for an EMS unit to step in and resuscitate them afterward.

Please Note: I will not respond to personal messages requesting information on how to execute a full contact Lambata. But I will offer this warning: Don't even consider its most basic positions before 6 months of daily prep work in the gym and an advanced course in Yoga.

Further, just so you know, I've heard that many primary insurance carriers will not pay medical costs associated with injuries sustained while attempting even a basic version of the Lambata.

Finally, in case you are thinking of adding the Lambata to your repertoire, even the rumor that it may soon be banned in Rio should give you pause.

Cheers,

PS: Sorry for meandering off topic. One second I was answering ggunn's question and the next second the word Lambata popped into my brain so I just went with it. What is the Lambata exactly? Does anybody know?

Thanx for the invaluable input Texas Diver. I am really excited to go there and only heard good things thus far. The amenties seem deluxe and brand new and it is very close to all the nice southern dive sites and San Francisco beach. I am hoping to take a day and do The Cenotesas well. We will be there Memorial Day week and it just can't get here soon enough. I need some nice rays, warm water, and cold beers after a long winter here in Chicago.

Hello,

We just returned from the Grand last night and all I can say is WOW!!! I will try and post a trip report today or tomorrow will all the juicy details. As for now, I have to recover from a week of incredible diving.

Hi Shader,

My wife and I stayed at the Grand twice last summer and just loved it. We first went in August with a bunch of friends of ours and ended up taking the intro to scuba class (just to see what it was like). After an hour of class work we went to the pool and learned the basics. We then did a shore dive and both of us were hooked. :wink:

We loved diving and the Grand so much, we ended up coming back (just the two of us) three weeks later just to earn our OW certification. Which by the way went great. :cheers:

The hotel is very clean, large rooms with great a/c and as was posted earlier, the rooms have large showers with tremendous water pressure. :shocked:

We are trying to go back down in a couple of weeks and will be definitely staying at the Grand again. :thumbs-up

Back
Top Bottom