Anyone been to Langkawi???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mick

Reaction score
I a doing my course in the next couple of weeks and after I get the boot from my job at the end of March my girlfriend and I are going to Malaysia for a week.
We will be spending four or five nights in Langkawi and I was wondering if anyone has dived there or has any tips for me??

Thanks

Mick

Originally posted by Mick
I a doing my course in the next couple of weeks and after I get the boot from my job at the end of March my girlfriend and I are going to Malaysia for a week.
We will be spending four or five nights in Langkawi and I was wondering if anyone has dived there or has any tips for me??
well, i wouldn't recommend langkawi if you want to do diving. langkawi is a nice island if you want to do shopping (it's duty-free)and just want to have a good time. the beaches there most are sandy and there are not too many coralls.

the real good diving-spots in malaysia are at the east-coast: perhuantian, tioman, sipadan and a lot of small, small islands like gem-island. you will find a lot of information about that, just go to your preferred search-engine and enter "+malaysia and +diving".

regards

gregor

Thanks for the help Gregor.
We might check out some of the surrounding areas.
It was never intended to be a diving holiday, but we thought while we are there, why not?

Thanks again for your help

Mick

Hi Mick.

There are several good places to dive around Langkawi. Nearby Pulau Payar Marine Park is one good place to go. Contact Langkawi tour ops for more information. You can also go to Andaman Resort on Langkawi itself, i heard they've got a good diving package.

Cheers!

Hi Mick,
Both Jasmeenz and Gregor have given you valid advice !
Everyone agrees the best diving in Malaysia is on the east coast but if you are going to be in Langkawi then Pulau Payar is worth a day or two of your time.
I spent Xmas in Penang + Langkawi with my wife + daughter (they were doing their O/W and I my Rescue)and we dived many times with East Marine who are located 5 mins walk from the pier where you will arrive in Kuah(good prices and very friendly people - as most S.E.Asians are). Some of the most interesting diving is actually along the beach in Pulau Payar but read the review of this area by searching the site of http://www.Asiandiver.com for all the details.
Vis. was crap at Xmas but hopefully it will be better for you. Lots of fish and variety including cuttlefish, small black tips, groupers, baraccuda and schools of big mouth bass etc. etc. Nice corals too.
Also hire a car for a day (cheap + easy - book through your hotel and a friend of a friend of a friend will drop their car off for you to use !)and drive around the island - there is also a marine aquarium that is definitely worth a visit - they even have a weedy dragon !
Have fun !
Manta 888

Hi Mick,
I dived in Langkawi in the months of december and January - it was **** !! Bad visibility strocg currents, due I believe to rainy season somewhere - check out dive conditions before you go to avoid dissappointment !
Goodluck.
MIke

I was there on holiday about 5 years ago but before I started diving. All I'd advise is watch out for the monkeys. They can be a pest at many of the beaches. Keep a pile of rocks handy as they will try to steal anything they can! Have a nice holiday.

Regards

HI Welshman,
Up the Weslh long live Plaid Cymru.
No monkeys tah last time we were at Langkawi (2 years ago) but I always kept a pile of stones handy anyway to throw at the lager louts from England !
Bye
MIke

Hi Mike

You don't often hear from someone who's heard about Plaid Cymru let alone spells it correctly, especially when they're based in Japan!

I don't know where you were based but we stayed near the airport. The beach was S*** so we got a boat over to one of the small islands. Lovely beach, shame about the monkeys. When we got back the boat owner told us that the locals had banished the monkeys to this island. Wish he'd told us before he dropped us off. Took a car one day up to the North near The Datai, place crawling with the annoying little b*******.

What does the Mc stand for - Scots or Irish?

regards

Philip

Irish ! Co.Waterford, but get this - lived in Bridgend (Ystrad Fawr)from 11 till 17 years old. The best sunsets I ever seen were off the Weslh Coast Llangeneith (I know I got that spelt wrong) Live in Japan now. Trying to get a cheap ticket from Nagoya To Okinawa - it is cheaper and easier to fly overseas than fly domestic.
Bye
MIke

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom