Anyone Cary A Buck Intrepid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Buck Intrepid would not make a good dive knife for several reasons. A lot of people have had corrosion problems with the steel used by Buck in this particular knife. 420 HC is not exactly a high quality steel. When used in small pocket knives, 420 HC is about the bare minimum. When used on a larger knife like the Intrepid, you will probably encounter difficulty when re-sharpening. I also don't see why the vast majority of divers would need a knife that large and cumbersome. The Intrepid is about $140.00, the real Carson custom made version is probably in the $500.00 range. Either is way too much for a dive knife that won't be of much use and will most likely be lost.

You can search www.bladeforums.com for reviews on the Intrepid.

You have just entered the No Slack Zone and it wasn't pretty. People are feelin' a little chippy today.

I'm not saying its always this warm and gracious, but it usually is... :D

Not too many fans in these parts of Big A$$ knives. A sawed off Betty Crocker gets a lotta lovin'. A Remora is about the size limitation these days...

Goin' Benihana sort of went the way of Mike Nelson. If there's no 2 hose regs to cut anymore, and bad guys in round masks to chase, what's the fun of a huge calf-mounted sabre?

K

Oversea, welcome to the board. I'll do anything to get out of studying so, I found a picture of the sheath for you. It looks to me like it can be mounted on two inch webbing at the top. It also has slots in the sheath for straps. So you could mount it to your bc webbing or on your leg with straps. It would help if you told us what kind of bc you're using. I am not a fan of large knives. My "sawed off Betty Crocker" does just fine. Hope that helps.

Mo2vation, that's a kickin avitar. :D

I use one and have been for a couple of years.

My only complaint re: the knife is its edge is "chisel grind".

The steel takes a good edge, holds the edge and is easy enough to sharpen. Yeah, it's not particularly corrosion resistant, but neither does it rust away in a day; clean your gear and there are no problems.

G_M

ps. Yes, I have cut plenty of line with it ... I need a sharp
knife that is easy to hold when recovering lobster traps from dirty, fast moving water.

Back
Top Bottom