Anyone dived (dove?) Cress St. in Laguna?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver_doug

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have heard good things about it, but still haven't dived it. Looking for a good description of what the site is like as well as what to watch out for and what direction to head out. A video would be great if you have one. A couple of weeks ago I was in Laguna and went to Cress St. just to check out the site and watch a phenomenal sunset...here's a pic.

sunsetSB.png

I usually park and enter at Mountain which is one street past Cress. An entry at the foot of Cress would be quite rocky.

Depending on the time of year, the surf zone can get deep quickly so you may want to check that out. It is not a long flat walk like Crescent or Shaws. Also, it is more exposed so the surf can be more of an issue.

The is one reef close to shore in probably 20 feet of water, and two others that are further out. I don’t know what the inner reefs are like, but there is a lot of life on the outer one. It is a bit of a swim though. The outward heading once you reach the 3rd set of rocks (you can drop before you get all the way out) is southerly.

If you are out and about exploring Laguna dive sites, you might want to drop in on either the South Orange County Dive Club’s Saturday group that meets at 8 am at the Pavillons on PCH just past Laguna Sea Sports, or the South Coast Divers that meets at 7:15-7:30 next to Kings Fish House at the Laguna Hills Mall.

Diver_ Doug, I should have read what I wrote before I posted. While the direction of the reefs from shore is southerly, once there they somewhat parallel the shore so a south easterly or westerly bearing will take you along the reef.

Yea, I agree with scjoe, its all about the outer reef here.

cress st. laguna beach - Google Maps

Its a big link, but if you look at the map, where the south most rock in the water is where the good reef starts. Depths between 40 and 60, with a nice wall/cracks that run west and east. If you see the boat in the map picture, I go that direction normally. Just be aware that there is almost a 400 yard swim to the outer rock, depending on tide. I haven't got video yet, but was planning on it soon. Honestly, one of my favorite laguna sites.

Yea, I agree with scjoe, its all about the outer reef here.

cress st. laguna beach - Google Maps

Its a big link, but if you look at the map, where the south most rock in the water is where the good reef starts. Depths between 40 and 60, with a nice wall/cracks that run west and east. If you see the boat in the map picture, I go that direction normally. Just be aware that there is almost a 400 yard swim to the outer rock, depending on tide. I haven't got video yet, but was planning on it soon. Honestly, one of my favorite laguna sites.

Thanks! I'm not a huge fan of lengthy surface swims but I'll do em if it's worth it (done it for Deadman's). Maybe I'll check it out the next time I head to Laguna (I've been stuck in a Crescent/Heisler/Diver's Cove rut for a while now).

How's the access? Would it be doable to bring a scooter and not have to worry about the long surface swim?

Yeah, I have yet to do it on doubles, but scooter would really help. In doubles and scooting, you could have a seriously awesome dive out there. It s a simple trot down a three level staircase, that was recently renovated. I've dived it maybe 6 times and each time find a new route and new things, its so vast I don't really have a grasp of the entire reef structure. I just let it take me where it does.

Nicole, when are we going? 130 and scooter. Peter, if you want a tow, you're welcome to join.

First weekend in April?? Really looking forward to trying out a new Laguna site...so many I haven't yet tried and would like to :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom