Anyone diving in Corpus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcsoar4fun

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone diving around Corpus Christi? I certified a few years ago but not much diving since then. I need someone willing to prod me with a sharp stick to go. :D I

well the wildlife was fun, never gets old playing w/ hermit crabs. Lots of different fish, even the occassional sea turtle, and I stumbled across either a stone rish or a toadfish, couldn't figure it out so I poked at it until it vanished in a flash. Also found some random garbage, including a metal ladder.

I was in the water around 1:30...vis was 5 ft, which I didn't find very fun. Temp was 79, so a 3mil was great. Click here for additional data on the dive site: Port a Jetties

Not sure if I'm going to go back given the long drive for all of 5 ft vis. I brought my dive gear down to CC b/c I was under the impression that the 'blue water' from offshore would be pulled in on the high tide this time of year, improving the clarity. The research buoy readouts indicated this was so by having low (0-3 ntu's) of turbidity in the readout. Perhaps UT needs to check out their sensors, because that range of ntu is akin to crystal clear!!

There are newer jetties on s. padre island, off of Zahn Rd, that I may check out in the upcoming days. If someone is going out to a near-shore oil rig I'd be happy to go along and ditch this 5 ft vis/10 ft depth on the jetties for some real diving.

The Port A Jetties has only a small divable window between August and September and then it depends on the flow Mississippi River. At best, I've only seen 15ft of the Jetties. Currents can be strong, making the dive a work out.

Back
Top Bottom