Anyone else going on cruise, Dec 6th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snturner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I will be going on a cruise with Norwegian. We leave from Houston on Dec 6th. I could use a dive buddy in Roatan. Anyone out there going to be on the same cruise? I will also be diving with my wife in Belize. Wife only wants to dive once. She doesn't love diving like I do.

I am an advanced diver.:boozer:

My wife and I are doing the NCL Texaribbean (sp?) in Jan out of Houston. I would be curious as to your experiences. I have read mixed things on the NCL Sea, but mostly good things since the overhaul.

BTW, are you going on the dives set up by the ship? Or, via local dive shops?

Jerry

I was on that cruise on the NCL Sun last year(Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize, Cozumel). You might want to skip the ship op in Belize especially if your wife is only diving once. The ship moors off Belize City and the nearest diving is about two hours in a small open boat across some pretty serious straits. I am an avid diver and would have reconsidered had I known about it before hand. Be warned. The Roatan dive op was Anthony Key Resort. Very user friendly, much better diving. Grand Cayman was Red Sail watersports. Same story. Very short boat ride on smooth water. Cozumel we arranged our own charter with Aldora. Good luck!

You might also try and post on cruisecritic.com Same sort of posting board.

Tim your scaring me now. Are you saying the boat ride was too long and the water was rough. I guess that explains why the trip is six hours long. Not sure what to do now. I guess maybe I should get a private party to get me to a different dive site.

The boat ride was waaaaay too long and the water was rough because we were transiting a good piece of open ocean to get to the diving. The op that they used was Aquadives. The boats were old, small and beat up. Several people who had signed up for the excursion took one look at the boats and turned around. The tanks banged and fell over during the trip. The people up front were fighting the falling tanks and the people in back were getting soaked the whole time (they were wearing their masks). My a** was very sore from getting banged around on the wooden benches. After all that the diving was just okay. Once again, I was with another guy and we both live to dive in the Caribbean. We took the punishment and called ourselves warriors after the trip. We still talk about it with Tim Allen voices and general appreciation of just what we are willing to put ourselves through to get wet. I would not take my wife on that excursion (assuming it is Aquadives). You willl hear about for a long time and if she is a newbie it could damage your reputation as a travel coordinator. Good luck!

Hey snturner... you might also want to check out and post at www.cruisecritic.com to look for info on diving your itinerary off a cruise ship. Friendly, informative board... just like here (but not nearly as great :)) but they deal only with cruise ship travellers. Lots of good advice on booking with ship excursions or excursion trips booked on your own and the pros and cons.

I was also on the cruise in May and the boat ride out of Belize City was way too long. I was also disappointed with the dive sites ... If your wife is only going to make one dive while on the cruise I would suggest Anthony's Key out of Roatan ... the ride out was less than 5 minutes and the reefs were absolutely gorgeous. The diving was fantastic, they are a great dive op and she will enjoy it much more than Belize ... and it may make your life easier as well :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom