Anyone else have trouble with Mares X-Vision?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Superman - can't you use your heat vision to just reweld the skirt? Seriously though, my wife had a beloved Technisub that I looked at the wrong way and the frame snapped.
She LOVED the mask, but it's a junk design. Masks should take a little more handling than this.

I haven't had any problems with mine, I like it a lot and have used it for over a year without any problems. It hasn't been bumped around too badly, but it has taken very well the small amount of abuse it has received.

I've had mine for 12 hours but I'll have to give it back since we found out who lost it. :D

Nice mask with a great view but the first thing Shane said when he saw it was, "That thing won't last."

Guess he was right... in more ways than one.

I had the same problem with my X-Vision. It was about a year and a half old with about 30 dives on it. I noticed cracks in the frame when I was getting ready to dive. Just like you, I pulled on the cracked piece of frame, and it crumbled. The plastic appeared to be brittle. Luckily, someone on the boat had an extra mask, or I would have been watching bubbles.

The mask was in mint condition. Always kept in the box, and cleaned well after each use. Not one single impact mark or sign of damage causing the cracking.

There was a previous post about this problem with the X-vision last month. The post had pictures of the failure in his mask, that was identical to mine.

I took the mask back to Divers Direct in West Palm Beach. First they said it was out of warranty, and they could not help me. When I went to their display area to look for a new mask, I found that their display X-vision had the same small craks forming on it. When the manager saw this they gave me a new X-vision.

I love the way the mask fits, but now I am constantly worrying about when it will fail again. I am now looking for a new mask, possibly an Aqualung Mythos...

Good to know and it is always a good idea to have backup mask. My X-Vision is about 2 years old and have about 200 dives on it so far with no trouble and I did not really take good care of it either. Since I use prescription lenses, I always have a backup with me on most trips.

Well I tried an X-Vision on in the LDS and loved the way it fits, but after reading about some of the failures you guys are reporting I'm not so sure I want to get one. Is there anything else out there that is really close to the X-Vision that will hold up better. I also wouldn't mind one with a purge valve.

Hi JJP161

There's 2 that I can think of, Cressi Matrix and the Tusa Viewtrek.

Cheers,
SangP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom