Anyone ever dive at the local golf course? :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrRoo

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Thinking about hitting up my local golf course this week which has a lot of big water traps and collect some balls and then resell them on the weekend. Was thinking sellng the balls for $.50 a piece of something. I live on a golf course which has a few VERY big ponds. Anyone ever do this? Anyone ever make some money? Any thoughts? Any input appreciated..

Several companies specialize in recycling golf balls from water hazards. I think I read that a couple of guys in Florida made over a million dollars doing it. Try using white wall tire cleaner mixed with water in a 5 gallon bucket to brighten any balls stained by the bottom of the ponds

Good advice thanks! Not looking to make a million just some extra cash to pay for boat dives with. I am a poor college student with too many activities :)

I've thought of starting doing it here, haven't seen anyone else yet, I'd ask permission first though.
why collect whats down there already?
put a net down and catch clean ones coming in:)

This has been discussed a couple of times in the past. Many golf courses have contracts with companies to do this. Other may consider you to be trespassing. Some just don't want the liability whether real or perceived.

Used to do this all the time as kids, snorkeling. Golf course didn't appreciate it, but it was lakeside and they didn't get so worked up.

MrRoo:
Thinking about hitting up my local golf course this week which has a lot of big water traps and collect some balls and then resell them on the weekend. Was thinking sellng the balls for $.50 a piece of something. I live on a golf course which has a few VERY big ponds. Anyone ever do this? Anyone ever make some money? Any thoughts? Any input appreciated..

Get permission.
Make sure you know what's in the water, both wildlife and chemical wise.
Be very careful because the bottom ain't always the bottom. Most pond bottoms are so mucky that it would be possible to get stuck very easily.

There was an article about a guy in florida who did this, and made good money.

However, the alligators were a serious occupational hazard!

Worth repeating. Those water traps have been stagnent for quite some time. The build up of chems in the water can be potentially dangerous. Some fellows I know who do this are fully encapsulated, drysuit, dryhood and ffm etc. Up here we don't have much other than maybe a snapping turtle to worrie about, but I imagine down in your area there may be nastier critters.

Lead_carrier:
Get permission.
Make sure you know what's in the water, both wildlife and chemical wise.
Be very careful because the bottom ain't always the bottom. Most pond bottoms are so mucky that it would be possible to get stuck very easily.

Back
Top Bottom