Anyone Ever Dive Higgins Lake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've only Ice dived it to retreive thin ice sled riders, but did see some good size fish, Houghton is good Ice diving also. Maybe that one gets to the depth, The op herd, being the sandy climate hard to believe caves but possible.

I've made a couple of dives at Higgins through the years. The last dive was about 5 years ago off the Amvetts area where there was a platform with a plastic bubble in it - you and another diver could surface under the plastic bubble and have a short coversation. There were plenty of bass in the area maybe between two and four hundred near the platform. Also, 50 yds north of the platform was a boat that had a 4 ft. pike that hung around the sunken boat.
We had got air near by maybe 10 yrs ago< I've heard it is no longer available.
Tobemorey5.jpg

I'm sure the caves were just a story. There was also a couple of stories about snowmobilers going through the ice over the years and never being found which I guess is possible. I grew up in Houghton Lake and it is really shallow. I think the max depth is about 22 feet.

Any one wanna dive over the 4th? I'm vacationing at Higgins Lake over the 4th of July weekend, 2008. I'm looking for a dive buddy for a couple dives. I have access to a pontoon boat on the south end of the lake.

I spent many a summer at both Higgins and Houghton Lake. We tent camped at the State Parks and had two Uncles who had houses on opposite shores of Higgins. I never dove there but remember fondly the incredible sandy bottom that seemed to go out forever never getting much more that 2' deep. Thanks for the photo of the lake. I doubt I'll ever dive there as none of my family is still in Michigan so there is no reason to go there. Becareful diving, that lake was real busy with boat traffic when I was a kid.

In the late 80’s a buddy ( the only certified one) would go to Lansing and rent enough gear for about six of us to head to Higgins. That bubble was Kool!!!

Funny, about six years ago I got to befriend an aircraft mechanic and diver, by the name of Gary Randolph, and only found out about three years ago that he is the guy that put the plastic bubble in the lake. It is the canopy off a Bell helicopter.

It is sad to see what the Zebra mussels have done since

Jeez, the first time I ever saw anyone ever scuba dive was from my dad's boat when we were staying at Higgins Lk State park. Had to be back in 1961 or '62? My dad was a Detroit News photographer, as was the diver, a guy named Al Deneau (who eventually went on to shoot video for WWJ I think). Anyway, Al went in right at the drop off.

My brother and I always swam out to there and looked at the drop off, me with my full face mask that had double snorkels with the little fakey ping-pong ball deals in a cage to close off the airway when you dove (even back then I thought it was screwy system). Since I was a Sea Hunt fan at the time I kept thinking Al would bring back stories of sharks and shipwreck treasures (hey, I was 12 or 13 at the time). Alas, he didn't see much but I remember he did have a way cool knife strapped to his leg, "just like Mike". :eyebrow: // ww

I thought it looked like a skylight myself.
Higgins lake Bubble profile.jpgHiggins lake Bubble bottom.jpgHiggins lake Bubble boy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom