Anyone ever used the SharkBiteScuba Tank Dolly?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

openhelix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last year at DEMA NetDoc said it was one of his top picks then I never heard anything more about it... It looks like a nice setup, but pretty pricey at $300. More if you want the sand wheels. Here's a picture if you've never seen it. Website at Home

I'm really intrigued as I do a fair bit of shore diving but I'd like to hear from someone that's actually used it before plopping down $300 + shipping. _O7U8913.jpg

I would be concerned about how to lock the dolly while diving and also it is more work to carry it and tanks down a cliff. I have used a baby stroller (cost alot less) to push tanks from breakwater to the dive shop on foam street to get airfills years ago. Worked pretty good and got a few laughs.

Ok, so I'm not crazy. :wink: It's a dolly with big wheels and a tack-welded weight box... Fair enough. Just wanted to see if anyone had used it and there was something magical about it making it worth $300....

What dive site(s) do you think you would utilize a cart at?

I have a folding Magna Cart I use at places like Still Water Cove in Sonoma, where I can get everything in one shot (Wearing my assembled kit). It doesn't roll across sand though.

If diving places like Fort Ross etc. I just throw my tank(s) on my back and go. If doing two dives, might just as well bring both tanks diving too, so often I just dive doubles there. Otherwise I have to pack two HP130's down the beach. I do it by putting my kit together and putting one on my back, then just carrying the second tank in my hands or on my shoulder. Of course more trips follow for the scooter/drysuit in a backpack, then I have one dive bin for myself. In a few trips it is all taken care of. Typically I come straight out of the water and walk to where the drop off point is and drop my kit/weight belt there, then go and change out of my drysuit so I don't get my street clothes as wet hauling gear.

For beach launching our Zodiac we have two 19" Wheeleez sand tires, that at some point I plan to build a cart utilizing them, since they have a combined load rating of 500lbs. Should be another fun project that is far down the list.

Anyhow for a little less money you can get a Wheeleez beach cart that could be useful for many different things. One of my friends has one and they work pretty well.
From here: Beach Cart by Wheeleez

beach-cart-folding-girl-on-beach-800px.jpg

I own the Tank Dolly and think it is well worth the money. I have the sand tire version and love it. It rolls easily over sand with two tanks (steel 85 and steel 120) and two sets of gear on it. I use it for both boat and beach diving. When on the beach, I lock it to a lifeguard tower, fence or post. There is two holes in the back of the weight box which allow you to run a lock through it to secure it to whatever is available. The handle detaches so you can lock the handle up as well. The Tank Dolly is perfect for boat diving because it folds up and stores in my dive bag. No more running back to the car for more gear or take my luggage cart back. I can get everything to the dive site in one trip. For beach diving, I can take two tanks. I have used it at Leo Carillo, Old Marine Land, Veterna's Park (yes, even on stairs), the breakwall in Redondo, Diver's Cove and Shaw's Cove in OC and many other places. It is perfect for Catalina. They allow it on the ferry every time and we do not even have to unpack it. They put it in the rear open area and secure it to the wall with bungie cords. DONE! I think it was well worth the money because I can use it for just my gear or for my dive buddy and my gear. They always have a deal at the Long Beach Scuba Show so you can get it at a discount.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom