Anyone for a Tablerock dive weekend 27-29 Oct?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fire_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Well, I have my last weekend of my vacation to myself :D and I am considering a trip to TR. It's a bit of a drive (6hr) but I really want some half-way clear water to dive in. Anything over 5-7 ft vis is great.

I am also planning on bringing my boat along. No sense in driving that far just to shore dive.

So how 'bout it? Anyone want to meet up for a dive?

FD

Even if no one can dive, can anyone give me a current lake report? Water level, temps, thermocline depths, vis?

FD

Mike from Sho-me Scuba might be heading to Beaver Lake in Arkansas. He said he's got to finish a student up this weekend (hopefully). Feel free to give him a call, we should have plenty of room on the boat. (417) 882-DIVE

TRL got pretty nasty near Moonshine Beach. It was hit and miss for visibility around that area. The spillway was 1-3 ft vis, but opened up near the boat slip to 10ft. Temp 3 weeks ago was 65 degrees at 10ft.

Louis at ScubaSports said that the vis by the dam wasn't terrible but it's definately dropped to around 10ft + or - depending on the day.

I'd agree with Louis at ScubaSports. I dove it a week ago and that's about what I found there. As you got closer to the dam the vis dropped, by the steps it was about 15 feet dropping to maybe 5 to 10 near the dam itself.

OK, thanks for the heads-up guys. Must be either the lake is turning, or lots of wind lately keeping it stirred up. I think with vis like it is, I'll stick closer to home. Save 3 hours of gas towing a boat. I can get same or better vis at Tenkiller lake.

FD

Hate to see that.

Like I said in my post, give Mike at Sho-me Scuba a call. He usually takes his 24 foot boat when we go (he says it's because he's spoiled). He prefers Beaver Lake due to the vis there. This would allow you to meet some new people and you wouldn't have to tow your boat all that way. At least find out if/what he would charge you for a tag-a-long dive.

Besides, if the day goes well, you might get to dive the cove w/ helicopter, 2 planes, 3 boats, chainsaws, moped, and try to find the silly manequins (I still can't find them!).

The vis is fine, go ahead and plan on diving.

I honestly don't see much vis difference between Beaver Lake and Table Rock, they both vary so it's possible one is better than the other on a given day, but to say Table Rock is worse than Beaver all the time is just not accurate. I have seen poor vis at Beaver and the same day good vis at TableRock, and I've seen it the opposite as well. Beaver is renown for good vis however, the brochures say so...

Each lake and location has it's quirks. IMO if you've got 10 feet of vis it's more than time to dive, that's great vis. So, venture forth and dive FD.

Update for weekend 10/28-29:

At Jake's Point
Water temp at surface: a balmy 60 degrees!
Water temp at 30ft: 54 degrees
Water temp at 100ft: 45 degrees

Visibility at surf: 5-10ft
Visibility at 30ft: 10-20ft
Visibility at 100ft: 50ft horizontal/20-30 ft verticle

Goodies at Jake's Point found:

Cabin Cruiser w/ bow at 30 ft
Beer Keg w/ diver sign at 24 ft (tied to bow of cruiser)
Vacuum cleaner w/ cord floating at 60 ft
Some sort of steel door frame (square shaped) at 100 ft

Well, I stayed at Tenkiller for the weekend. Maybe I should have driven on out. :(

My first dive was at Crappie point, with vis of maybe 4-5 feet. This was the only divable spot because of 20m/h winds and corresponding waves. I ended up swimming into a cavern without realizing it. At 50ffw, there was no visible light. I was following the bottom when I realized I was at the end of a funnel shape in the cliffs. I looked up and found I had a cieling. :confused: Not just a ledge above me either. I had to do a compass check and find the direction towards open water. I was mighty happy to see the faint green glow above me when I cleared that.

My second spot was a party-cove at Turkey bluffs. 1-2 foot vis with a temp of 62. I managed to find to neklaces, and dozens of beer bottles and cans. I didn't have a recovery bag, so I left the trash for now.

Third was my most boring dive ever. I decided to try the south side of an island I had dove this summer. I swam due south for 15 minutes. Never got deeper than 25 feet. Not even any fish to look at. Just rock, moss and dirt. The only high point of the dive was that I had about 15 foot of vis.

Fourth was at the dive park, where the vis was less than 5 foot. I did see the two biggest bass of my life though. Too bad I didn't have a spear gun, and that spearing them would be illegal.

Last dive was the north side of the island I mentioned before. Lots of interesting rock formations, trees and fish. But only 3 or 4 foot vis.

So thats how I end my dive season. 5 cruddy dives. But it still beats sitting around the house or dealing with inlaws for the weekend!\

FD

I told you it's worth diving. Things change all the time and it's usually better than most small lakes. However getting wet is what it's all about no matter where it is. I had about 20 feet of vis in the Quarry I dove this weekend and managed 3 dives as well. Temps there were around 44 degree's at 50 feet.

The steel door frame, was it to the right of the cruiser? I.e. looking uphill from the wreck it would be to your right? There is a boat down around 130 feet and parts of it are on the bottom all the way down to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom