Anyone Found Their Fusion Dry Core Socks Too Big and How Do You Handle It.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldpeanut

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Whites Fusion Bullet is my second drysuit after my custom made neoprene drysuit starts to leak through many pinholes due to age.

I am 5'10", 195 lbs. with 10.5" long and 4.5" wide feet. My neoprene drysuit came with a pair of very nice hard sole neoprene and rubber reinforced size 9 boots. I love them because they are very comfortable and warm. When I ordered my Fusion suit, I ordered size L/XL with size 10 EVO 3 boots.

I found out the EVO3 boots are difficult to fit into my Atomic Split Fins(XL), my Apollo Bio Fin XT(LL) and my Mares Plana Avanti Quattro(XL), so instead I use a pair size 10 Deep See hard sole neoprene boots which serve me better than EVO3 but still not perfect.

It seems the dry core socks are way too big(about 11.5"X5.5" vs. 10.5"X4.5") for me. Every time I put on my boots there are always extra material folded inside the boots and pressed on my feet which are not very comfortable.

Do anyone of you Fusion Drysuit divers have similar experiences and how do you overcome this? Thank you in advance for any of your suggestion.

Cheers,

Terry

Wear thick socks with booties. There are some folds going into my Chuck's but nothing I can feel, and my feet are warm. I have a 10-10.5 size foot or right around 44mm. The size 12 Chuck's fit into XL Jet fins perfectly.

If anything they calf area is too small, as it can be hard to get the feet out. First I have to pull my undergarment out from my booties, then pull the Fusion sock off.

I use the EVO3 boots in XXL Slipstreams (and the foot pocket in the current XXL Jet Fins is similar).

The socks are a bit long for my size 10, very wide foot, but I just pull them up slightly so the toes are in to the end of the sock and then pull the boots on. The extra material is then in the area above your ankle where it is a non problem and not noticed.

Yup, just pull them up by the back of the ankle so that your toes are at the front and the excess material is pulled up behind your heel. You should not notice it.

Funny . . . I've learned to do the opposite. If I pull the socks up until my toes are in the front of them, then by the time I have jammed my feet into whatever shoes or boots I am using, the pressure on my toes is very uncomfortable. I leave my foot more or less in the middle of the sock, and let it squish up in the front. The vast majority of the time, the result is comfortable enough. Every once in a while, I'll get a fold or something that isn't, and I have to decide whether it's worth taking the whole thing apart to fix it, or just live with that particular discomfort. It's almost always only an issue on land.

I tried leaving/scrunching the extra up in the toe section of the boot and I tried neatly folding the extra under and over the toe, but none of them were comfortable.

Different boots, different feet, different socks - all probably result in different individual results.

I use the EVO3 boots in XXL Slipstreams (and the foot pocket in the current XXL Jet Fins is similar).

The socks are a bit long for my size 10, very wide foot, but I just pull them up slightly so the toes are in to the end of the sock and then pull the boots on. The extra material is then in the area above your ankle where it is a non problem and not noticed.

Hi DA,

What's your size of Fusion drysuit? As I don't want to buy another pair of fins such as Scubapro Jet XXL or Slipstreams XXL, I guess my EVO3 boots are useless for me. So far my size 10 Deep See boots serve me O.K. except very often the extra material of the dry core socks cause me feel uncomfortable on my feet.

The new Fusion suit shipped out lately includes a pair of white plastic inserts which you can put into the dry core socks. Have anyone of you used them in your Fusion suits? I just wonder will them help for the comfort of your feet in the dry core socks?

Thank you for all of your inputs so far. I will try different suggestions and see how do they work.

Thanks and best regards,

Terry

My Fusion is an early Fusion with the skinny calves, so it's a 2XL-3XL just to get the larger legs.

Let me know if you want to sell your EVO boots. I don't need them exactly, but mine have 3 plus years on them and a lot of walking to and from sinks, so I can see the end in sight in a couple more years.

My Fusion is an early Fusion with the skinny calves, so it's a 2XL-3XL just to get the larger legs.

Let me know if you want to sell your EVO boots. I don't need them exactly, but mine have 3 plus years on them and a lot of walking to and from sinks, so I can see the end in sight in a couple more years.

My EVO3 boots are size 10 and upgraded to the elastic pull strings, do they suit you? If yes, I may need to start searching for them right now because I don't even remember where I keep them:)

Cheers,

Terry

---------- Post added December 14th, 2012 at 11:49 AM ----------

Wear thick socks with booties. There are some folds going into my Chuck's but nothing I can feel, and my feet are warm. I have a 10-10.5 size foot or right around 44mm. The size 12 Chuck's fit into XL Jet fins perfectly.

If anything they calf area is too small, as it can be hard to get the feet out. First I have to pull my undergarment out from my booties, then pull the Fusion sock off.

Hi Peter,

I think the dry core calf area is not too small from the later Fusion version, only the early one. But the skin calf area is really a little too tight to my like. I have never tred the Tech or Sport skins, are they better in the calf area than the Bullet skin?

Regards,

Terry

Hi Peter,

I think the dry core calf area is not too small from the later Fusion version, only the early one. But the skin calf area is really a little too tight to my like. I have never tred the Tech or Sport skins, are they better in the calf area than the Bullet skin?

Regards,

Terry
My Fusion Tech Skin is the later version with the grey inside. I took the advice from this board and bought Sailkote from West Marine, and use it to make the inside slippery. My issue is I use a thick base layer of about 100 gms, and a 400 gm set of undies. Throw in my booties and thick socks and there isn't a lot of room in the ankle area. So I pull the undies out from my booties to make removal easier.

As I said with all my layers underneath I have zero issues with floppy socks :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom