Anyone going to the Iberostar Grand in Rivera Maya from 12/10 - 12/20?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeorgeC

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Lanoka Harbor, New Jersey and Ft. Lauderdale, FL
# of dives
500 - 999
I am going to the Iberostar Grand in Rivera Maya from December 10th through December 20th .

Anyone staying that the Iberostar complex and diving any of those 10 days?

I rather dive off site and wondering if anyone is willing to join me and share a cab.

The Grand is one of 5 properties which include Iberostar Paraiso Lindo, Iberostar Paraiso Maya, Iberostar Paraiso Beach and Del Mar.

Regards,
George

I am going to the Iberostar Grand in Rivera Maya from December 10th through December 20th .

Anyone staying that the Iberostar complex and diving any of those 10 days?

I rather dive off site and wondering if anyone is willing to join me and share a cab.

The Grand is one of 5 properties which include Iberostar Paraiso Lindo, Iberostar Paraiso Maya, Iberostar Paraiso Beach and Del Mar.

Regards,
George

What's so bad to you about Dressel-the on site operator??

They are only concerned about getting you to the closest spot off shore and getting you back as soon as possible so they can get back out for the second dive. They also need to get the instructors to the pool so they can allow the hotel guests to try SCUBA and sign them up for a DSD course!

I have used Dressel in the past and had to surface with 1,500 psi in the tank because the instructor called the dive. When I got back on the boat and say why did we call the dive she looked at her watch and said "I guess we could have stayed down longer as we still have plenty of time for the boat to get back". I said what does the boat getting back have to do with us calling a dive. She mentioned the DSD and the second trip.

I am simply tired of them looking for the buck and not the customer satisfaction.

If it were easy to travel to an offsite operation I would do it in a heartbeat! There are several posts mentioned on this board that, from what I read, run a great dive operation. Last year when I went to the Grand I took the Colectivo to get into PDC just to try a different dive op. One has to be pretty desperate to drag their equipment and use the Colectivo to get away from Dressel!

Does that help?

Hello George- Dive buddy Paul here. I had a great time diving with you and Aquanauts in Puerto Aventuras. Aside from drive time, I think a more pleasurable time under the water. Please update your dive experience from this trip and give one more rating for Dressel since you were able to do both onsite and offsite dives this time around.

How was your trip to Florida? My son Chris is starting class in Feb and hope to be certified in early April...already booked a trip to Key Largo for Chris, my dad, and I 4/29-5/2. Should be lots of fun especially if the weather is good and the water is clear!

Let me know what your dive plans are this year maybe we will cross paths again.

Paul

we are plannng a trip to Rivera Maya in may. We are taking two non divers with us and want to stay at Iberostar Quetzal as we have stayed there before and loved it plus the girls will have plenty to do to be entertained.

We would like to dive Coz and wanted to know if there are any dive operators that go to Coz from there or if we need tio take the ferry over to find one?

We are not interested in using Dressel which is on site unless 1. they have improved on their customer service and 2. go to sites in Coz.

Any suggestions?

You will almost automatically save money if you can avoid diving with Dressel...Diving in Coz since you are not staying there may turn out to be an all day affair, and may not be worth the expense of taking non-divers. I think if you found a good local shop in PDC they could take you to some nice dive sites that are close by and maybe do have some package deals to dive Coz...so while you are diving in the morn or afternoon out of PDC close to the resort, your non-divers can play in PDC or hang at the Iberostar, and you only burn 1/2 day on Scuba. One nice thing about staying in Coz (although the resorts are not quite as nice) is that the diving is almost unlimited- you can do 2-3 boat dives/day plus unlimited beach diving right from the resort (up to no deco limits of course)...almost like a liveaboard, and it does not take all day to only get in 2 dives where much of your time is spent getting there and back when staying in Riviera Maya.

Whatever you end up doing, diving anywhere in that area is almost always excellent because of the barrier the island of Cozumel provides between there and the yucatan. Drift diving can be lots fun and sometimes almost effortless to explore a large area in one dive.

Most local shops (non-resort affiliated) will give you a better deal for your overall cost if you arrange all your diving thru them...do some research on the internet and call a couple places to find a place you like. I think it makes for a better and more personal experience if you can find a shop with smaller boats and 10 divers or less.....Sounds like a great trip..wish I could arrange to go!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom