Anyone have an E-book?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tanked

Extreme Non-poster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So, I read alot. When i work 3 night shifts in a row, i'll go through two books. My girlfriend is always picking on me cause my book case is over flowing.
I saw a display in Borders for the Sony E-reader. Reader Digital Book The screen looks just like a paperback. Anybody ever use one of these, or something like it?

So, I read alot. When i work 3 night shifts in a row, i'll go through two books. My girlfriend is always picking on me cause my book case is over flowing.
I saw a display in Borders for the Sony E-reader. Reader Digital Book The screen looks just like a paperback. Anybody ever use one of these, or something like it?

Don't have it but sure looks like a great idea. What I've been doing to keep down the amount of books in the shelves is going to the audiobooks. Not on tape or CD but the actual audiofiles you can get from many sites; any MP3 player is good with them.
The bad thing about the audiobook is the difficulty to go back to a certain book because you remember a line or paragraph. With this e-book it might be easier to get back to a quote.
Please write your opinions if you get it.

I have downloaded a few audio books for my i-pod. Pema Chodron and Freakanomics. My problem is I fall asleep and "sorta" read the book. I lke the notion of enriching otherwise wasted time, in a convenient way. Being read to sometimes allows my mind to be too passive, I am finding.

This is not MP3 or audio, this displays the TEXT on a screen. I tried and early version of it and hated it, but this looks a lot better.

I don't have the Sony ereader but do read a lot of books from my PDA. On that device I use Bookreader from Microsoft using .lit formated books. The format is not bad for reading and even though the screen is smaller than the ereader, it is quite usable. The downside is that other formats such a PDF are not as readable.

I looked at the Sony reader the other night and the screen is great and the readability is good. I am considering buying one. I am waiting though to see how it handles other formats such as pdf, doc, and others. To that end, I have loaded a dozen or so files in different formats on an SDcard but have not gotten to the store to try it out on a reader.

When I go on dive trips, having several SD cards full of books is great...the weight savings is definately a factor for the airplane...I have almost every book on the cards that I have on my shelves. Although I prefer a real book, the PDA is alway handy on the plane, waiting for an appointment and other times where carrying a book is not feasible. And even on the PDA, the
readability is sufficient to not distract me from enjoying the reading.

Bob

Please write your opinions if you get it.

If my suspicion is correct, I'll be finding it under my Christmas tree. I'll let you know what I think after then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom