Anyone have experience with Meikon Aluminum housing for the RX100?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DazedAndConfuzed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Have anyone had experience with the Meikon aluminum housing for the RX100 (or for any other camera)?

Meikon Top Quality Of Aluminium Waterproof Digital Camera Case For Rx100,Up To 100m - Buy Waterproof Digital Camera Case For Rx100,100m Waterproof Housing For Rx100,100 M Ultra Rugged Camera Housing For Rx100 Product on Alibaba.com

Meikon aluminium housing - Lloyd Clearihan Imagery

They seem to have implemented the dial (unlike the cheaper plastic one), and has dual o-ring, a pet peeve that I have with some of the more expensive ones. Before going on about chinese junk, don't forget, Nauticam is a chinese brand too. And Meikon makes housings for alot of different camera (and I'm not talking about using a generic plastic cube and drilling holes left and right for the buttons, circa 1950's Sea Hunt, and current day Ikelite).

Direct from china pricing seems to be in the $400-$500 range, but if one only feels safe buying $1000 housings, then one can buy it here for that:

Meikon Aluminium Alloy Underwater Case for Sony RX100 UW-Fotopartner.de - buy online

I've also posted this in the general underwater photography forum, but this post is to get information more specific for the RX100.

Last edited:
I waited long enough and since nobody really seem to be carrying this model, so got one of their plastic housing for the RX100. Lets see how it goes.

Very interested in your thread. Please keep us informed of your experience.

Did you read the review in dpreview?

Meikon Underwater Housing for Sony DSC-RX100 Review: Digital Photography Review

Yes I read that review a long time ago. After using the plastic housing in my recent trip, I found a few things that the reviewer did not encounter

- The 67mm thread is not plastic, but metal. It not having holes for water to flow in and out a bit frustrating since one has to take the wet lens off once in the water, then screw it back on once that space is filled with water. It is a bit hard to thread it back on, especially when handling a heavy dome lens. I actually dropped the lens and it fell down probably 15ft, luckily to a sandy bottom....time to put the lens leash which I stopped. Also, without the holes, it takes alot of back and forth threading/unthreading the lens in in order to squeeze out the excess water stuck between the lens.
- Without access to the rear dial, alot of features becomes inaccesible. The Function button becomes useless since one controls the selection option with the dial. Also, I shoot in Memory recall Manual, so it is not possible to jump to Shutter priority to adjust the shutter speed with the front dial given that as soon I change to Shutter priority, the camera reverts to all the strange presets I had the last time I was in that mode (white balance, ISO, etc). I will just have another of my Memory mode to be Shutter or Aperture priority so that I can kind of adjust the other with exposure compensation.
- The movie button is not foolproof. I think I was inside a dark wreck and there was a baitball of silverfish. Image thru display looked good while lit w/strobes' little focus light and I even took some pix while in Manual w/strobe. But as soon as I pressed the movie button, the screen was very dark, kind of indicating my video was going to be very underexposed. I realized afterward movie was being shot w/ISO from Manual mode (too low). I have to change to Movie mode and have it to default to Auto ISO and maybe fiddle around with WB. This kind of defeats having the quick access movie button.

Back
Top Bottom