anyone have experience with pinnacle wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just spent a week in Turneffe, Belize with a new 3mm Pinnacle Elastipreme. A great suit, although I used Pinnacle's sleeveless vest 3mm underneath. I tend to get a little cold on 1 hour dives, so I used a beanie for the first time. Not a bad way to go. But I do think the Pinnacle 3mm suit is top notch.

While the Pinnacle wet suits are very warm suits, especially those with the merino-lining, you will likely still be cold in the waters in your area. Go with a 3mm for the tropics and a 7mm or dry suit for local diving.

Jac - I have a pinnicle 3mm suit - fits great - especially like the 10mm spine protector ( the breaker model ) it was a leisure pro deal. Suggest buying at a location you can try on or has a great return policy in case it doesnt fit you right. cat

I live in South Florida and I dive a pinnacle 5mm cruiser(old name for the elastiprene model) pretty much year round. I love my suit. I have worn it in waters down to 60*, and have been toasty as a bug in a rug. I do suggest either trying one on at a shop, or ordering one from a site that offers free exchanges on sizes. I only say this because, when I ordered my suit, I was smack dab in between a small and a medium, according to the sizing charts. I ordered the small. When I got the suit, the small was WAY too small for me. I upgraded to the medium size, and it fits great, but even that is a li'l tight on the surface. Once I'm in the water, it is as comfortable as you could want.
I would suggest getting a 5mm model instead of the 3mm. You'll have more flexibility, IMHO. Like I said, I dive my 5mm in South Florida most of the year. When I do switch to my 3mm, it's more because of the heat on the surface than the water temps. Nobody likes overheating while waiting to hit the water.

We have 2 Pinnacle suits in our family. The quality is very good and we are pleased with the suits. The are both 7MM FJ+Jackets and a 4 years old with no appreciable wear issues. The 3MM suites we have only see use in warm water vacations (70F+), they are of no value in cool or temperate waters.

In general I am finding the "advanced" neoprene such as elastiprene a trade-off. It is much easier to get on/off (without extra zippers) and fits better, this results in a warmer suit and thus a lot more fun to dive since your movement is restricted less. The down side is they crush more at depth, so the toasty warm suit at 40-50' become an very thin cold bag of water at 100+. I don't have an opinion on the merino lining since my suits do not have it.

Pinnacle is the best looking, best fitting suit I ever had. And I mean had. The neoprene could not maintain thickness. After about 100 dives I was getting cold when I did not before. It went from 3mm to a foamless 2mm thick.

It still looks great, but had to be replaced.

I agree with the previous poster. Yesterday, I dove my new 5mm merino suit for the first time at Dutch Springs in PA. The water temp according to my computer was 49 degrees F. I did not have any issues with core warmth through two 45 minute dives. I am very pleased with the suit overall.

I did have it modified with leg zippers for easier donning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom